I thought small towns were supposed to be safer.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
A guy who worked here for a short while was found dead the other night.
[video=youtube_share;vz_Aq57nhhs]http://youtu.be/vz_Aq57nhhs[/video]

Small towns in Oregon are definitely not safer. PDX, Eugene and so forth are, but that's about it.

Excuse the off topic question, but have you eaten at pok pok? I see you guys are from Oregon, and 1x pdx
Any good? Thoughts on it?

Excuse the off topic question, but have you eaten at pok pok? I see you guys are from Oregon, and 1x pdx
Any good? Thoughts on it?

Pok Pok is pretty good, depending on what you order. Beast and Nostrana are much better, overall. Nothing beats Pok Pok's wild boar collar though!

Small towns in Oregon are definitely not safer. PDX, Eugene and so forth are, but that's about it.

Pok Pok is pretty good, depending on what you order. Beast and Nostrana are much better, overall. Nothing beats Pok Pok's wild boar collar though!
He was here in nz doing a one off dinner but I was working and unable to go, we do similar food as Ricker, although his is more street food/family food, ours is a little more fusion.

He was here in nz doing a one off dinner but I was working and unable to go, we do similar food as Ricker, although his is more street food/family food, ours is a little more fusion.

Ah, very cool. One thing I like very much at Pok Pok is Jin Hoom -- very nice rustic feel, especially with the hot coal and ceramic soup pot. Bold spices but not overwhelming.

Small towns on the border around here are nightmares. I would say that's only true in certain situations.

Only place I know where a discussion about murder morphs into a restaurant review.

(And I like it that way. )

Cities are usually safer than rural areas, it just doesn't seem that way because they're so much more concentrated. Murder and crime rates are lower per capita though.

Pok Pok is great! All the food I tried was excellent and I really liked their fermented vinegar drinks too.

Pok Pok is great! All the food I tried was excellent and I really liked their fermented vinegar drinks too.

Yeah, their drinking vinegar is tops. They also have an Earl Grey cocktail which I like a lot, called Lord Bergamot.

The only reason most people think this is because there is usually very little news coverage there. Even if there is nothing is said because nobody wants to live in a "place like that".

I like Pok Pok but I need to work my way through their menu a little farther.

Living about a mile south of a town of 500 with no law enforcement officers (the county sheriff comes by once in a while) I think they tend to end being places where people who like the idea of zero cops hide out.

We get a lot of transient people here that can become trouble because there are no local police to do anything about public drunkeness or antisocial behaviour.
There is a Sherrif's office but it is manned by volunteers for a few hours a couple days of the week. There is a lot of "self policing" here. I hope that is not what happened in this case because the fellow who was killed had been very loud and confrontational with people he came in contact with.

The locals have not come up with any answers about what happened.
Now you see the homeless people walking around in groups carrying anything from big sticks to machetes.
So now you hardly see any normal-ish people out and about after dark.

Back