Custom Saya Order List Now Is Opened

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
In addition to offering leather sayas, I am opening order list for wooden sayas.

Currently I am running a special for wood sayas (as well at leather sayas) 15% off. This should cover return shipping cost - I will need the knives for fitting, to assure a precise fit.

Turnaround time - up to two weeks (or you get a free saya).

Email me for details.

Thanks,

Marko

I'm in, but take your time. You have a shop to set up. I'll deliver the knife/ knives ASAP .

15% specials extended to other woods, like ebony and cocobolo. These are priced higher than maple, walnut and poplar. A matching set - saya and handle is an option.

Hmmm my Masamoto Honyaki could use a new handle and saya... Two weeks or it's free huh :D

Hmmm my Masamoto Honyaki could use a new handle and saya... Two weeks or it's free huh :D
For a saya. For a set you will have to be add more time, say another week. I am going to close the saya list periodically (and reopen when orders are fulfilled), to make sure that I don't make free sayas. :D

I am only half-joking. From the day of the receipt, to the pictures posted.

Here are the rates before 15% discount
.37/mm - poplar
.50/mm - figured walnut, figured maple
$1/mm - ebony, cocobolo - (harder to carve, glue, and finish + cost of the materials)

Email sent, attached it to my last order email. If you don't have it let me know I'll resend.

Just to remind you folks that what was a half joke, is now a policy - if you don't get your saya made within a week, you get one for free.

Trying to up my game with deadlines the hard way.

Still needs a couple of coats of finish, but other than that, it is done. The saya will darken over time, and will match better the handle.

20131119_153841.jpg

Oh man! I sent it in because I just wanted something better than a makeshift cardboard cover. It looks GREAT!!!! Lovely work. Can't wait to see it in person. And it was way faster than I expected.

Many, many thanks.

Hadi

Hello folks,
I am going to open the list again, as I finally balanced my work load and can fit a few custom orders here and there.

The pricing will stay mainly unchanged (see my 2013 price list) but I will surcharge for sayas for single beveled knives in highly figured hardwoods like tiger maple, or koa. These are particularly hard to carve, and I do carving with chisels for exact fit.

Sayas are two-piece construction, with cavity carved in one of the sides. The saya is finished with oils and varnishes, to highlight the figure and to protect the wood. An ebony or cocobolo pin is included and extra pins can be purchased separately.

Handle/saya sets upgrades are available. Also, fancy sayas for yanagis (no pin, finger cutouts) can also be arranged. Also, a hand-painted lacquered sayas can be arranged. You name it, I will make it :)

Thanks,

Marko

View attachment 26221

View attachment 26222

View attachment 26223

Custom sayas for Catcheside and Harner (2). One more coat on the wood sayas, and can be shipped out to the customer. Leather, birdseye maple, and highly figured redwood.

IMG_20150225_115611932.jpg

Very nice. Hope you'll be able to find wood to complement mine.

Catcheside and Harners. Birdseye maple, highly figured redwood, leather.

DSC_1183.JPG

Old growth birdseye maple saya for 260mm Mario gyuto. Carved for a precise fit. $130.

DSC_1193.JPG

I have one of your Masamoto profile gyuto which is without a saya.

Do you need the knife returned to you to make a good fit or would it be possible to make one from measurements?

I'm not sure it'd be worthwhile to return the knife to the states (unless we could schedule in a refinishing of the blade while it was there).

I have one of your Masamoto profile gyuto which is without a saya.

Do you need the knife returned to you to make a good fit or would it be possible to make one from measurements?

I'm not sure it'd be worthwhile to return the knife to the states (unless we could schedule in a refinishing of the blade while it was there).

Wooden sayas need to be fitted, no way around it.

I can do thinning and refinishing of any blade, and can ship along with other knives (mine or from other makers), to combine shipping. So, for instance, if you a knife coming from US, they can ship to me, and I will ship along with the refinished/custom saya blade.

M

Latest posts

Back