Eat like a Man!! knife sharpeing by that KNIFE FIGHT guy.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife tried this, then the government nullified our marriage.

This belongs in the knuckle head thread. What is it with these pro chefs and the horrible spastic sharpening? The only impressive parts where that he managed to get anything close to sharp, that his edge wasn't as wavy as that shun dual density knife, and that he managed to not hurt himself badly. So many "oh god no" moments, but when he's flailing around and moving INTO the edge with his left hand fingers way of the edge of the stone was a low point and then the "arm shave" where he's pressing the edge against his skin so hard that there's a divot made me think that perhaps it was a good thing after all that his edge wasn't actually that sharp.
and not even a mention of de-burring.

The thing that really gets me about crap like this is that it's not just him making an ass of himself, it's presented as instructions / and example and implied that people should actually try to emulate it.

On the other hand: He is still doing better than 99% of the knifeusers worldwide....

On the other hand: He is still doing better than 99% of the knifeusers worldwide....

That depends on if you qualify doing something in a dangerous and hackish fashion better than just not doing it at all.

Looks like Jon from JKI offered to help him with is sharpening skills via twitter. Let's hope he takes him up on it.

I didn't see any hair come off his arm.

The next sharpening test would be to have another cook throw lemons at you. If you can cut one in half in the air you are good to go.

He would be one of the best sharpeners in my kitchen. And he would think I was wierd for caring so much about my knives. I mean, after he got over the initial shock of working for me in Minnesota instead of owning his own place in LA.... :clown:

[FONT=&amp] My take on it is that if he increases awareness of taking care of knives, thats a good thing. His (paraphrased) comment about "Why buy an expensive knife if you don't take care of it?" is spot on and I don't think anyone here would argue with it.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Much like the format of the show, if someone see's the recent goat episode and then wants to try and cook goat they will have do a little more research than watching the chefs turn it into a plated dish. If someone wants to learn about knife care they will have to do a little more than watch his short. Even if they only go stone shopping, [/FONT]its a nudge in the right direction.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pile-on:bonappetit:

Yeah, I get the raising awareness angle and if was something really complex, I think that it would be more excusable that he did not offer a better demo. However, learning good, basic safety and technique for sharpening knives is stupid simple. The time and effort that it would have taken to learn the basics are less than went into producing the video. Especially when he obviously knows at least 1 person (Jon) who's an expert sharpener and instructor. How long would this have taken: "Hey Jon I'm going to be on TV sharpening knives, how do I not make a clown of myself?"
Jon: "watch 10min of video on my youtube chanel"
done.

Then he'd be really to play in the big leagues and take a trip to MN to played fruit n' knife baseball with Charlie's crew.

The next sharpening test would be to have another cook throw lemons at you. If you can cut one in half in the air you are good to go.
Well with carbon knives that would possibly get you a great patina too :spiteful:

Pretty efficient!

:OHelps to be selective wt. U-Tube sharpening videos I have seen much worse than this guy.Anyone can point a camera act like the expert.

Back