Quantcast
How long does your edge last? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does your edge last?

I'm pretty sure most everyone has some amount of wire edge. The quesiton is really how far you're willing to go to try to minimize it. How long do my edges last? That is so impossible to answer. My main knife will probably last a couple of months at home before it drives me insane. At that point, some parts will shave and some really won't. I tend to use my tip area a lot more than the heel area. Still it depends on what I'm cooking (one barbecue session and an edge is toast), what I'm cutting on, what kind of edge I put on it, what knife it is and how you decided the edge is done and I'm sure I've forgotten some significant factors, too.

Edge Retention

The discussion of edge retention on the Kramer thread, has got me thinking, how long does an edge have to last, to be considered great?

Curtis Chung, C-Dawg on ITK, mentioned on one of his posts that his Mizuno cleaver's edge would last two days in a pro kitchen. Mizuno blue steel, is by far the toughest steel that I've seen. It's edge will last a long time, a few months if not more, in my home kitchen.

Does any knife have great edge retention in a pro kitchen?

Jay

I would consider 2 days on an edge in my kitchen poor, unless maybe I was in a place that slung some serious hash and required metric tons of prep. A week is acceptable for me, 3-5 days is decent (The Zwilling Kramer falls in this range).

I would say my one of my best for edge retention is my Hiromoto AS Suji, but then again it sees less use than my gyutos, and on different items, so it is hard to judge. Best for me is probably my DT ITK in AEB-L. It's not that it stays razor sharp forever, but it diminishes a bit and then plateau's at about 90% sharpness and stays there for a long time. Other knives I feel continue to diminish at an equal rate, so while they may get sharper initially, they become unacceptable faster as well. My Aritsugu A-type might give the Devin a run for it's money but it is much more difficult to sharpen and the geometry isn't as nice so I don't use it as much either.

And I am almost always impressed at the edge on my Tojiro DP honesuki, but it is a unitasker that obviously isn't as universal as a chefs knife or used as much. It gets beat on and still holds up though.

Also, there was this thread from awhile back.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

My hiro As gyuto beats the hell out of my FKM petty and Henkels 5*... Probably plateau at about ~80% and stays there pretty much all week.. Btw, my basic prep is about 5 kg of tomatoes diced, 20kg of chicken leg butterflied, 3kg of carrots juillianed and 4 kg of cabbage per day, 6 days a week.

My vote goes to the ITK. I got mine with the recent batch CKTG had, and I haven't had to fully sharpen it yet. I just gave it some touch ups on a 3k and 5k chosera, and its amazing. Before that my vote would have gone to either the Hiromoto AS or the Aritsugu A. All three have exceptional edge retention, and honestly once you get into the realm of edge retention that those knives have... it's just arguing semantics.

You also have to realize that the overall edge retention of a knife has a lot to do with how you sharpen it, and how refined the edge is. I find that if I take a knife all the way up to a .25 micron strop, that the edge will only hold for about one day; however, it's easy to bring it back with some more stropping. I find if I sharpen a knife to the 5k-10k range, it'll hold it's edge much longer but as we mentioned before it'll dull slightly and "plateau" at about 90% of it's original sharpness.

I use real crap plastic boards in work and I sorta rock chop so my edges would last about a day I say with no stropping or anything, but with my Mac hone I say 2-3 weeks they are still acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I use real crap plastic boards in work and I sorta rock chop so my edges would last about a day I say with no stropping or anything, but with my Mac hone I say 2-3 weeks they are still acceptable
    I use crappy poly boards too. Only diff is probably I don't rock that much unless it's fine chopping herbs... Still, I can go pretty much the whole week with just some light touches on my 6k every other day or so..

home and pro kitchens can be a bit deceiving. It depends on so many factors, and for someone who does seasonal work at a convention center feeding 8-18,000 people, and have tested knife edges with these animal preps, I have not seen one steel go beyond one shift without having to hone, or strop throughout. I'm sorry, but I do not buy this 4-6 weeks sharp bit. When I mention this to them, they laugh. I know an edge loses it's keenness and then keeps it at a certain level for a time, but lets be more descriptive on what we mean by sharp, what has been cut, how much, what style cutting, what surface, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chefofthefuture View Post

You also have to realize that the overall edge retention of a knife has a lot to do with how you sharpen it, and how refined the edge is. I find that if I take a knife all the way up to a .25 micron strop, that the edge will only hold for about one day; however, it's easy to bring it back with some more stropping. I find if I sharpen a knife to the 5k-10k range, it'll hold it's edge much longer but as we mentioned before it'll dull slightly and "plateau" at about 90% of it's original sharpness.

This.

So much of edge retention is based on making sure that you have completely removed the wire edge (which a lot of us haven't even if we think we have) as well as the geometry that we sharpen the knife to, as well as the finish we put on the knife. There are so many factors that it's very hard for me to use anecdotal evidence from other members as justification for one knife's edge retention over another. I think that we really have to go with the metallurgists perspective here. Edge retention will be based on the steel type and HT from one knife to the next. Actual performance will be determined solely by the enduser.

+ Reply to Thread