Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Takedas in trouble..

Yep with epoxy that is the only option
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Only with a chisel.

The one Takeda I handled (from the passaround) had the heavily epoxied handle. In fact the handle felt like it was hollow and plastic. I know they are rosewood but I would have sworn otherwise.

Looking at them now I don't see the moisture anymore.. But the tangs definitely flex more than they used to.
    I'm wondering if the epoxy has been compromised. The tap water in my new work place can run quite hot. Could it have softened the epoxy perhaps? Either way, I do think I'll pimp these handles soon, not that they need it, since I received these knives from the mail man I've felt that they suit their handles in a special way. Besides that, having only two J knives isn't enough so there's money to be spent else where

also thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't get round to responding too quick, just finished 68 hours of work in 4 days, chefs life

The water would have to be something really hot. Isn't most epoxy good to something like 700*? I've boiled knots out of brush handles before, but I really don't think hot water from the tap could do it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

put the knife in the owen at 100 celsius for a couple minutes, use protective gloves and get a good grip of the handle, set the edge on the far side of your cuttingboard, then u should be able to pull it off.
    remove as much epoxi you can, sand the tang and repoxi the handle when it has dried and put it back in place, set to dry!

Most epoxy starts to soften at 60c, better brands go to 80-85c and you can get high temp epoxy which is good to around 180c AFAIK