Quantcast
What kind of work is a Bullnose butcher knife for? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of work is a Bullnose butcher knife for?

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I use an old Case bullnose to french airline breasts...but I think it's mainly due to it being tough as nails...
    I was hesitant to google that, thinking "...setup..." but now I know. I think I'll go get a chicken and try that. Looks like a good way to save the wing meat. Watching the first video come up, that guy had it done faster than I can figure out which way is up.

my camp hunting knife is also an old bullnose. so tough. i agree, the big tip and my feeble butcher skills make for some awkward moved.

but it took apart an elk nicely. i think i am on the search for a vintage boning to have right next to it. the next elk, i cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    my camp hunting knife is also an old bullnose...it took apart an elk nicely. i think i am on the search for a vintage boning to have right next to it. the next elk, i cant wait.
    Also searching for a good vintage (read: cheap) boning knife, (repeating myself) for venison. I have one (actually being exchanged 'cause it was bent a little by the handle) but am now looking to score really good carbon cheap. Half of the fun is finding it. Anyone can spend $$, but what challenge is that? If I had the tools and experience to thin a knee, one of the older Old Hickory would work very well I think, based on the experience with my butcher knife.

This type of butcher knife created to be an all purpose tool. Like most all purpose knives they don't necessarily do much of any thing perfectly. Back when I grew up on the farm, the normal cutlery battery was 2 or 3 butcher knives and a couple of paring knives. That was all that was all that was needed for everyday cooking and canning garden produce, as well a butchering chickens, hogs and cattle start to finish. I certainly wouldn't willingly try that today.

It works especially well on half pigs and beef shoulder.
    Cassoulet, like life itself, isn't as easy as it seems...