Quantcast
52100 in 1/8" thickness - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 52100 in 1/8" thickness

So, I got a response regarding weight of the sheet. It's exactly 76LB. The thickness is 3.45mm (and tolerance is from 0 to .2mm) - 0.135" (0 to 0.007) so that is what makes up the discrepancy in weight.

I am very close to ordering one sheet but it would be nice if a few people would join me in a group buy. The cost of steel comes to $6.40/lb plus flat rate shipping, which I think is not bad at all.

If interested, please contact me. I will also explore a possibility to have this sheet cut in 3 pieces or so and shipped directly, though I was told I has to be moved to a different warehouse that has shears, and that will have to be added to cost. This would work best for me, as I don't have to do any cutting and shipping.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

So what sort of investment would you need from people to be able to make this happen?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    So what sort of investment would you need from people to be able to make this happen?
    It depends if there are 2 more people who want 1/3 of the sheet each, or if there are 10 people who want a small piece that will fit a flat rate box.

Ideally, there would be 2 more people and we all take 1/3. This way the company might be able to cut the sheet in three and ship it directly to three of us.

The less ideal situation, the sheet is shipped to me, I cut it in smaller pieces and mail them out. I say it's less ideal, as I have to cut with an angle grinder (time, cost of disks, etc).

M

Hi Marko. I'll take 1/3 or 1/4 sheet. Whatever you work out with the other guys. E-mail me if you decide to pull the trigger and I'll send you a check.
    -M

Can you ask them to cut it into 11 pieces? They could fit it in a flat rate box and you would only have to pay 15 bucks for shipping. Those board game flat rate boxes are awesome for knives. They are almost 24x12.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    Can you ask them to cut it into 11 pieces? They could fit it in a flat rate box and you would only have to pay 15 bucks for shipping. Those board game flat rate boxes are awesome for knives. They are almost 24x12.
    Cutting steel by Bestar is prohibitively expensive. The warehouse where steel is located doesn't have shearing capacity and steel has to be moved to a different warehouse. The sheet would be cut into 4 x 22x22" pieces and each piece would cost $198. Shipping via UPS would be $46 to NY. So, $345 sheet would become $792 when cut in 4.

Also, the initial freight shipping quote was upped by $45 for a lift gate, so the total for 88x22" sheet delivered would be $552. Still a good deal, but for now, I decided to stick with steel I get from Aldo. The difference in thickness is only 1mm, so it might not be worth the hassle.

M

did youb ask aldo if he could grind it a bit thinner on his time saver?

He said he is looking to send some of his stock to a company in PA to have it thinned. I would much rather buy from Aldo, but it will depend on the final price.

I could be very wrong here but I think that not all 52100 is created equal? From what I have read ( Ed's book, and others ) the best 52100 for knife blades has to be forged down from thicker stock, not ground or milled. Knowing a lot of my old friends here are now getting into knife making (jealous) and using stock removal method I think the best/ only way to go is to get 52100 that has been forged down by some one who knows what they are doing. This way you can get the advantages of forged 52100 and still stock-removal a blade. Once again my knowledge in this area is limited and I could be very wrong.
    Ed talks about it a little here
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...urce-for-52100

From every thing I have read Rex Walter is the best guy to get 52100 from.
    http://www.dfoggknives.com/RexEWalter.htm

P.s. If you do get some from Rex or find one of our knife making friends on the bord here that has the tools to forge down and flat grind some 1/8" 52100 stock I'd go in with you just to have the stuff incase I get the itch to make some knives. I have been wanting a leather working head knife made from 52100 for some time now and have not been able to get anyone to make me one. Think I'll start a thread here to see if any of our pro's here can recommend some one.

I just sent Rex an email to get a quote, but I have a feeling that it's not going to be pretty. If he's at $2.00/inch for 1.5" x 3/8" stock, then he's not going to be cheaper than that for 1/8" x 2.25" material me thinks. That's $30 per blade blank for 52100. I reckon, and only time will tell, that the quote is closer to $60 per piece (I asked for a quote for 1/8" x 2.25" x 15") as I bet it'll include the $1/inch for surface grinding to get it to the 1/8" and I also bet it's going to be $3.00 inch standard rate.

For a reference, I just bought enough AEB-L to make 10 gyuto's and 4 petty's for $130 which (just figuring the gyuto's) is only $13 per blade.

However, like you say, it may be better and worth it.