Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 52100 in 1/8" thickness

That's an interesting discussion point. Yesterday Kramer basically discussed 'forging' vs stock removal from a sheet. He indicated the 52100 was forged (using machines) down to the sheets used for stamping out the blades, so even a stamped blade is really made from forged 52100. This would be a great item for Devin or Larrin to chime in on.

This is pretty much this how 99 percent of damascus knives are made.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    I just bought enough AEB-L to make 10 gyuto's and 4 petty's for $130 which (just figuring the gyuto's) is only $13 per blade.
    Damn, starting production already?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    That's an interesting discussion point. Yesterday Kramer basically discussed 'forging' vs stock removal from a sheet. He indicated the 52100 was forged (using machines) down to the sheets used for stamping out the blades, so even a stamped blade is really made from forged 52100. This would be a great item for Devin or Larrin to chime in on.
    Almost all steel is forged, unless we're talking about casting to shape, which is almost non-existent in knives. It's a common misconception with all of the arguments with forged vs stock removal. The only difference is the forged blades are forged to shape. There are many makers that believe that their forging is better than what the factory can do, however. Most of them are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Almost all steel is forged, unless we're talking about casting to shape, which is almost non-existent in knives. It's a common misconception with all of the arguments with forged vs stock removal. The only difference is the forged blades are forged to shape. There are many makers that believe that their forging is better than what the factory can do, however. Most of them are wrong.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-AJ

What about the whole thing with grain development do to meltable thermal cycles and the forging down via hammer vs rolling mill? I don't know much about the "magic " behind forging to shape vs stock removal, think that's a whole different discussion, my question is: is there a difference between the 52100 that Rex would make vs stuff rolled right out of a steel mill?

there is more to do wi th the heat cycles than there is with the hammer. tho then there is th e shear forces of "cold forging " that might do something

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    What about the whole thing with grain development do to meltable thermal cycles and the forging down via hammer vs rolling mill? I don't know much about the "magic " behind forging to shape vs stock removal, think that's a whole different discussion, my question is: is there a difference between the 52100 that Rex would make vs stuff rolled right out of a steel mill?
    There is a difference: Rex forged it at too low a temperature.

There is a difference: Rex forged it at too low a temperature.
    Interesting for you to say so being so many master smiths say it's the best, but I have come to respect and trust your knowledge. So IYO whats would be the best raw 52100 stock to work with doing stock removal, and how would that sheet or bar be made? Is raw steel mill stuff just as good as any if one was to make a knife without usingba hammer them selves?

Also assume you say that sheet rolled out at ____temp in a rolling mill, do you know of a source for the boys around here? I know your dad could do it but he is soooooo busy these days.