Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey time

Turkey time

Well it is getting close so i thought I would start a new thread for tips and tricks and begin by my passing on what I regard as the best way to prepare a turkey - it's basically a tweak of existing ideas for high temperature roasting.

So here goes: Barbara Kafka pioneered the idea of doing a turkey or chicken at say 500f until the internal temperature was where you want it to be (about 2.5 to 3 hours for a 20lb) but while it worked pretty well, it wasn't perfect because of the perennial problem of white versus dark meat. Then the NY Times (for roast chicken) added the idea of cooking it in a preheated cast iron pan with the legs splayed and so close to the cast iron that it solved the problem of light versus dark meat easily and perfectly:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/di...ared.html?_r=0

I thought to myself this would be awesome for turkey except what kind of pan could I use to fit a turkey? Looking around I discovered this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L17SK3-P...7%22+lodge+pan

and ever since I bought this a few years ago, I have been (a)making turkey a lot more - cause it is so quick and (b)always having it come out perfect :- )

That's the only way I've liked turkey. And also I love the face of terror this causes when purist see their turkey butterflied!

Actually I don't butterfly it just splay the legs

Bird 1: Spatchcock, brine, air dry in fridge, smoke, eat.

Bird 2: Set fryer up for brother, heat oil for brother, remind brother to put bird in, ensure brother does not burn house down, remind brother to remove bird, rest bird for brother, carve bird for brother, congratulate brother on another great fried turkey, clean up.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

gic, thanks for the sahre but this must be a dam mess in the oven with all that grease spitting out of the pan. Plus, poor technique by her.

1.) Taking the pan out of the oven and putting it on the counter. She should have taken it fromt he oven to the stove and turned the burner on while adding the chix.

2.) Adding veg and adjusting the bird while leaving the oven open. This is cooking 101 right Chefs?
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Well I automatically did what you suggested. Didn't follow that part of the recipe. In fact it was quite easy to put the lodge on my burners for deglazing. Basically I said to myself hmm do kafkas recipe in a lodge pan after splaying legs

And that really does work really well and was I thought a really good idea.

Gic, Thanks for the report, did ya take a pic? Did it make a mess?
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Well I can take a pic in two weeks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Kitchen Knife Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    gic, thanks for the sahre but this must be a dam mess in the oven with all that grease spitting out of the pan. Plus, poor technique by her.

1.) Taking the pan out of the oven and putting it on the counter. She should have taken it fromt he oven to the stove and turned the burner on while adding the chix.

2.) Adding veg and adjusting the bird while leaving the oven open. This is cooking 101 right Chefs?
    Eh, when I worked in France we generally would sit roasting meats on the open oven door and baste them there. Big difference between a Molteni cast iron monster and a home oven, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Well it is getting close so i thought I would start a new thread for tips and tricks and begin by my passing on what I regard as the best way to prepare a turkey - it's basically a tweak of existing ideas for high temperature roasting.

So here goes: Barbara Kafka pioneered the idea of doing a turkey or chicken at say 500f until the internal temperature was where you want it to be (about 2.5 to 3 hours for a 20lb) but while it worked pretty well, it wasn't perfect because of the perennial problem of white versus dark meat. Then the NY Times (for roast chicken) added the idea of cooking it in a preheated cast iron pan with the legs splayed and so close to the cast iron that it solved the problem of light versus dark meat easily and perfectly:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/di...ared.html?_r=0

I thought to myself this would be awesome for turkey except what kind of pan could I use to fit a turkey? Looking around I discovered this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L17SK3-P...7%22+lodge+pan

and ever since I bought this a few years ago, I have been (a)making turkey a lot more - cause it is so quick and (b)always having it come out perfect :- )

That thing had been on my wish list for over a year. I shoulda bought it when it was only $51

Do you flatten the turkey out?

Edit: never mind, I just finished reading lol