Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey time

I have a question for you turkey gurus. We usually just do a turkey breast and I brine it. I get ok crispy skin but not like an unbrined bird would get. My question is, if I brine 2 days before and then leave it in the fridge overnight uncovered the day before thanksgiving, will it dry out the skin enough to get crispy without losing the moisture and flavor from the brining?

That should be perfect, but don't forget to separate the skin from the meat; that helps a lot too.

E,

What works for me is to cut out back then brine whole bird for 48 Rinse and air dry in fridge at least 12. Rub then smoke at 225 F. I use thermo-probes to judge when done. Go from smoker to sear (grill or oven) to brown/crisp. Rest until serving.

Hopefully somebody smarter than me will explain mallard (sp?) effect. Very simplified the bird has got to see 300+ to brown. If roasting breast, some air time and the time in oven should be enough to brown/crisp. If you want it browner, crisper, crank the heat up in oven to 450-500 for last 10 min or so.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I'm thinking of doing just a breast this year, will that affect cooking/brining times much?

Thanks guys. i was worried id ruin the turkey if i let it dry out in the fridge after brining.

Brian, It takes about an hour to hour and half to cook a brined breast. Brining cuts the cooking time and cooking just a breast cuts the cooking time. I start checking the temp at an hour.

Dave: I thought you should never brine more than 24 hours because it will turn the meat to mush? I don't have a smoker, its still on my Christmas list for after we leave this windy hell hole lol.

Mush??? Them BBQ guys, always offering their opinions as fact. Glad it never happens here...
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Mush??? Them BBQ guys, always offering their opinions as fact. Glad it never happens here...
    LoL thanks for the tips. Ill let you know how it turns out

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    I brine my heritage turkeys for 5 days. Never went to mush once. Longer than 5 days things do start to go a little funky with poultry. Brining my ham for almost three weeks before Thanksgiving.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Who needs turkey? We make pizza for Thanksgiving.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Best tip for brown crackling skin:

Rub a TBLS of baking soda on the skin right before putting in the oven. Sure its a good idea to leave your bird uncovered in the refrigerator for a day or two but using Baking Soda on any skin (poultry, pork, fish) get the skin rendering almost immediately when put in the oven.

One additional tip is to make little slits in the skin (not the meat) all over the bird, this will allow the steam to escape, this also increases the skin's surface area creating more places of yummy skin cracklin.

Baking soda jump starts the maillard reaction on the skin when it hits heat. Its really significant. Blows away butter or oil. Also, less heat is required to reach that brown skin, meaning more juice in the bird.

Also, baking soda can be used in brines for tenderizing meat but care must be taken less you'll turn the protein into mush. I would not bring with BS more than one day.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.