Quantcast
I hate asking, but I have too! - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate asking, but I have too!

Quote Originally Posted by ghud View Post
    Sorry Johndoughy I missed the link! I checked the boardsmith site, got it! I'll check with my guy at the hardwood store, check the epoxies approved for food usage. Putting something together like that is right up my alley. Oh I forgot I have a piece of 4/4 Curly maple with some birdseye.
    If you're talking about making your own cutting board, you'll want to be more discriminatory about your wood selection. Anything with edible sap or seeds is the rule David Smith TheBOARDSMITH goes by. He uses only Maple, Mahogany, walnut and cherry for his boards. Other species may be perfectly acceptable but those are a good start. I don't remember the exact glue he uses but I believe it's a titebond product.

For knife handles your imagination is the limit.
    - Sean

Titebond III, waterproof and FDA approved for indirect food contact.

Nice Titebond III, use it all the time, last time I bought a gallon!

Thanks for the reply Stefan, my guy carries some Koa, he can get it out of LA if need be, love that wood! I have a piece of 8/4 Cocobolo with very little sap wood I think I'll start there. have a Bench Dog router table with 3 1/2 HP PC hooked up to it. Just need to make a good template. Man but HW's eats up my bits!

Hey Sean, I've seen a few cutting boards, are there any plans/designs you guys like? Size, thickness and features?

OK Doug here's what I found per your suggestion. I'm not saying I'm going there, but I want some input from everyone on the following list. It comes in a $1100. Without a board or sharpening equipment!

Tojiro DP Chef Knife 240mm
    Kikuichi Elite Carbon Sujihiki 270mm
    Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm
    Hiromoto Petty Knife 120mm
    Moritaka Petty 150mm
    Tojiro DP Western Deba 240mm
    Fujiwara FKM Stainless Boning 145mm
    Tojiro DP Nakiri 165mm
    Maruyoshi HD-5 Santoku 7"
    Sugimoto Cleaver #30
    Dexter-Russell 8'' X 3¼'' Chinese Chef Knife

Well what do you guys think? Greg

A bit of overlap on some of the knives, like the santoku and the nakiri. And you are back to getting a lot at once. Earlier suggestions of getting 1-2 knives to find what you like or want. Chef's knife - gyuto and a parer will accomplish most tasks, although I like the boning knife as well.

And auto correct on an iPhone can lead to a lot of weirdness if you don't carefully go over what you typed... Some odd suggestions in that last post

I don't think you need all of those right away. I use a gyuto/chefs knife 90% of the time, and would rather spend more of my budget on that one knife than on multiple knives. I would concentrate on starting with a 240mm gyuto, 270/300 suji, a parer, a bread knife, and a cleaver since you already know you like them, then fill in the gaps from there. An additional long petty or honesuki type knife is a good utility knife and can help butcher whole chickens.

I don't think you need all those pettys and parers. One should suffice for the time being. Depending on what you prefer, long or short, should help you pick the first one. If you are unsure, get the 120 and then for your next one you can go up or down from there.

I find a nakiri and a santoku and a slicing cleaver and a gyuto to be very redundant. With a good gyuto and a slicing cleaver (very thin cleavers, not like our thick western cleavers that are made for butchering meat), I never find myself reaching for any of the nakiris or santokus I have. They are good for people who do not like using bigger knives (wife, kids, mom, etc). If you do not have something already they can use, just get one or the other. If you already have something they can use, skip these for now.

The more time you spend here, the more you will learn and the more you will find out what you like and what you dont. So I wouldnt buy everything at once, buy a few key pieces, see how they work for you, and then go from there.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Hey Sean, I've seen a few cutting boards, are there any plans/designs you guys like? Size, thickness and features?
    I'd bet 9/10 of the guys around here have a board from http://www.theboardsmith.com/ so, that's a pretty good place to start.

As for your knife list, I still recommend saving that cash and starting light. I started with 2 knives, a gyuto and a petty, and I wasn't hurting for cutting power after that. I expanded my collection for many reasons trying different makers, sizes, steels, finishes and knife types. You can do it all at once, but you'll likely end up figuring out your money would have been better spent on something else as your preferences in cutlery become more clear.

Keep an eye on the B/S/T forum too, there are a lot of killer deals there. Many one of a kind knives end up needing new homes after we realize our bank accounts present a more pressing reality than our knife drawers. Gyuto's and suji's are the highest in demand, so if you have interest in single bevel knives, or anything less common (cleavers, nakiri's, boning knives) you can probably snag one up for an even bigger discount.

Hiromoto AS or Fujiwara FKH are good entry level choices for carbon knives. I'm not well versed on stainless knives so I'll let someone else fill in there. I will mention that Glestain is a good stainless knife when you can get them on sale, and just about the only knife where the "grantons" actually work to keep food from sticking (though it still sticks).
    - Sean

OK Doug here's what I found per your suggestion. I'm not saying I'm going there, but I want some input from everyone on the following list. It comes in a $1100. Without a board or sharpening equipment!

Tojiro DP Chef Knife 240mm
    Kikuichi Elite Carbon Sujihiki 270mm
    Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm
    Hiromoto Petty Knife 120mm
    Moritaka Petty 150mm
    Tojiro DP Western Deba 240mm
    Fujiwara FKM Stainless Boning 145mm
    Tojiro DP Nakiri 165mm
    Maruyoshi HD-5 Santoku 7"
    Sugimoto Cleaver #30
    Dexter-Russell 8'' X 3¼'' Chinese Chef Knife

Well what do you guys think? Greg
    Seriously, you should get a nice 240 mm gyuto and a 150 petty. Get them in stainless or semi-stainless unless you don't eat any raw acidic foods or fresh fruit and go from there. If I were you I'd look at CarboNEXT, Kikuichi TKC, and Konosuke HD series. I've tried out a ton of knives and nothing significantly outperforms these for a home cook. At some point, you should get something in non-stainless like a slicer so that you can experience how easily they achieve awe-inspiring edges and that's it. After that, it's just the disease taking hold (unless you're heavily into sushi or something). BoardSMITH is awesome, btw.