Line Knife Preferences

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy a less-expensive, shorter knife to use during service so my prep knife (240 Hiro AS) doesn't take such a beating on a daily basis and can become a "prep-only" knife. With that in mind, I wanted to hear some of your preferences for a knife to use during service. Harder or softer steel? Length? Specific knives? 210 Petty vs Gyuto?

I'd get something fine grained stainless (swedish steel, ginsanko, vg1), powdered steel, or tool steel. And I like wa handles on the line because they're more comfortable when you're using them at weird angles.

The question I would have to ask here is what do you regularly do during service? What kind of tasks would you be asking of this knife?

And I like wa handles on the line because they're more comfortable when you're using them at weird angles.

That's a really good point I never thought about much before. Thinking about my use and preferences I agree.

The question I would have to ask here is what do you regularly do during service? What kind of tasks would you be asking of this knife?

I'm right there with you on the wa-handle, and I hadn't actually considered powdered steel yet--though the price may eliminate that option. As for the tasks, well it will be a little of everything but the majority of it will be slicing/dicing/mincing/julienning vegetables and herbs (more often acidic than not), slicing cooked/raw proteins, and whatever final touches something needs before it goes on a plate. Sometimes I'll have to prep a little mise (like julienned jicama) during service too.

for the longest time I used a 240mm tojiro slicer. Loved that knife. It has been at every restaurant with me, been ground down a hell of a lot. It has been retired for a bit now but I love that little guy.

What about a 210 petty. I bought one quite recently and its great, very versatile and can be used for a pile of tasks, but still keeps the precision of a much smaller knife. Complements a gyuto very well

What about a 210 petty. I bought one quite recently and its great, very versatile and can be used for a pile of tasks, but still keeps the precision of a much smaller knife. Complements a gyuto very well

How about the knuckle clearance? Ive considered that as an option but my 150 petty, for instance, doesnt even come close to the needed clearance. 210 significantly better?

The one I have is a Sakai Yusuke and the knuckle clearance is fine. I'm sure there's a few others with 210 pettys who could give you their experiences but mine is ok for pinch gripping

If you don't do any tip work, I'd get a CCK cleaver.

If you need an all-rounder, I'd go with what I use on the line--A 210mm Tojiro DP! Crazy bang for the buck.

I have a 210mm Kono petty/suji and the only way to use the heel of the blade is to work off-counter.

How about a 185mm santoku? Nice size for a tight line.

I tend to use a 190mm santoku on the line. Nice size and does most of what I need.

CCK is an excellent recommendation. Also, I would check out a Kanemasa 210mm gyuto.

I think I've definitely made a few decisions, just trying to narrow it down. I'm really more curious to hear the reasons behind your preferences so I can see other folks' style and needs in a line knife. Why do you like cleavers/nakiris/etc versus one with a tip? Why carbon? Why stainless? I'm curious to see what draws you to them--especially if its not to my own tastes.

I may or may not be feeling ya on the bang for the buck wa-handled Tojiro--and I'm definitely feeling stainless, wa gyuto 210. It would compliment my carbon prep lineup nicely. For me i need the tip even though I admit that my vg10 nakiri does get me through the night pretty well. Otherwise I would be all over that excuse to finally pick up a CCK (I'll find another one tout suite). Good advice on the moto-kotetsu but I'm wondering if the 185 gyuto is too short. On the other hand that Sandvic would be a fun new metal to check out. Appreciate all your thoughts; keep them coming (even if its not a direct recommendation).

If I had to work in cramped quarters and do everything with one inexpensive knife, I'd probably go with a 210/240 suji in semi-stainless or if I had to go cheaper, I'd go for a Fujiwara or Tojiro.

I'd pick my 210 Misono moly gyuto, but the funayuki or suji would be great too.
I always liked a knife I could beat up on and get nice and sharp quickly when I was in the back. If I did it again, I'd choose lighter and thinner, while still being tough. Hence, my Misono moly choice.

Stainless so if you dont have time to wipe it or someone else goes to borrow it, you wont have any issues with reactivity. I almost always prefer wa handles, just use some beeswax on the factory handle until you can get a handle made out of stabilized wood that will have no trouble washing clean even after it has been left grimy.

How bout something like this? Jon also has an Ashi for $170, Gesshin Ginga for $220, and Kono HD for $230. All wa handled and stainless.

I use either a 270 gyuto or a 300 suji as my line knife. I don't have a ton of room but work clean and organized, so I make it work. But I would like to get a 210 gyuto or 225mm-ish suji with a little bit bigger heel to use as a line knife.

The yoshihiro looks good.
Is there much flat at the heel area? It's hard to tell, but it does look similar to the konosuke, which has a nice amount on the 240 gyuto.

Back