Quantcast
Do you have a Sous Vide Supreme?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Sous Vide Supreme?

Do you have a Sous Vide Supreme?

I was thinking since I need a vacuum sealer I might as well pair it up with some sort of sous vide system. Have you guys used the Sous Vide Supreme and if so, do you recommend it? Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pete

My college buddy got interested in sous vide cooking recently. He's a very capable guy, an experienced cook with plenty of money, but he's what we call "thrifty." Rather than spending $500 on a Sous Vide Supreme, he got one of these gadgets, which works with just about any stove and a pot of water: SousVide Magic Controller

He's been very happy with the results. Uses a standard FoodSaver with it.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Why not stick it in your combi oven and turn on the steam function? Otherwise a pot of water, with a thermometer does the trick as well.

I love my SVS Demi, it's got some spare ribs in it right now actually.
    I do occasionally use it for 12-72 hr. cooks but, to me, it really shines for taking items straight from the freezer. I just love to get home after a long day and pull that flash frozen salmon or your individually packaged steaks/chops/chicken out of the freezer and drop them straight into the water. About and hour later (depending on meat type and thickness) I'm eating a perfectly cooked and healthy meal that didn't require I dedicate much time to it. It's brilliant really, and I find myself using it at least a couple of days per week.
    I've been eyeballing the Auber Instruments sous vide controller to use on occasion for larger capacity, and so I can have two things going at once, but I haven't been able to justify it to the pants wearer in my house yet
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

I have an SVS, a DIY one, and a Polyscience Circulator. The SVS works just as well as the other two, and is all you really need for home use. I've followed it with a thermapen and it is extremely accurate, within a degree or less from when I've been checking. I recommend it, the rack is effective, and the timer is a handy feature too

I was thinking of going the Auber Instruments route with a 1200 watt steam table so I could do large batches of stuff if needed. Plus I believe you can use the Auber to control other things, like an electric hot plate powered smoker or a mini fridge to cure meats in.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Damn Pete. It's what I use. I would have shown it to you if it came up. Works great, essentially hassle free. The demi size would probably be fine for you.

Cool

If you are planning on purchasing one, check out Bed Bath & Beyond because with their 20% off coupon the price is a lot better.

The only problem with the Demi is that it doesn't come with the rack to keep the food separated and if you buy it separately plus pay the shipping you probably are better off getting the Supreme!!

I have both the Poly Science and the Demi, I use the PS for larger batches of food and use the Demi for reheating smaller frozen quantities. I buy the large packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts at Costco or Sams, then wash them, prep them with spices etc and individually vacuum bag them, then sous vide them, then cool them down in a ice bath for at least 30 minutes then freeze them. When I want a chicken breast fast I just pop it in a 140* water bath and in 30 minutes it is ready. It comes out of the bag as moist and tender and tasty as you can imagine!!!

You can't believe how good 72 hour sous vide short ribs are, they are rare when you cut into them, and tender like prime rib!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Damn Pete. It's what I use. I would have shown it to you if it came up. Works great, essentially hassle free. The demi size would probably be fine for you.
    I thought that was the same one you were using but I wasn't quite sure. If it's good enough for you, then it will for sure be good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratton View Post
    If you are planning on purchasing one, check out Bed Bath & Beyond because with their 20% off coupon the price is a lot better.

The only problem with the Demi is that it doesn't come with the rack to keep the food separated and if you buy it separately plus pay the shipping you probably are better off getting the Supreme!!

I have both the Poly Science and the Demi, I use the PS for larger batches of food and use the Demi for reheating smaller frozen quantities. I buy the large packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts at Costco or Sams, then wash them, prep them with spices etc and individually vacuum bag them, then sous vide them, then cool them down in a ice bath for at least 30 minutes then freeze them. When I want a chicken breast fast I just pop it in a 140* water bath and in 30 minutes it is ready. It comes out of the bag as moist and tender and tasty as you can imagine!!!

You can't believe how good 72 hour sous vide short ribs are, they are rare when you cut into them, and tender like prime rib!!!
    Wow, 72 hour sous vide short ribs, yes I do believe I'll be making those. Thanks to everyone who has responded to this threat you have helped me make a decision.

+ Reply to Thread