Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Sous Vide Supreme?

Cool

Hi stereo.pete,

If you haven't found this link on Sous Vide cooking then it is a must read!!! http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

He gives times and temps for about everything you would want to SV. I have his book and I would rate it 9.8 out of 10. I refer to it often!!

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    pull that flash frozen salmon or your individually packaged steaks/chops/chicken out of the freezer and drop them straight into the water.
    I'm eating a perfectly cooked and healthy meal that didn't require I dedicate much time to it.
    Im sorry to say, but it not healthy at all.
    I dont know how frozen meat with structure destroyed by ice crystals could be any good. Plus defrosting in warm water makes it risky.
    Perfectly cooked, well, yes, if you mean not overcooked. I still love my meat oldschool when for example chicken skin is crispy and have that roasted flavour.

the reason sous-vide "will" become mainstream is because of one word, "convenience". From sauces, proteins, or anything that needs to be; cooked in batches and portioned, put together quick and served, maintained and/or cooked at precise temperatures. Many more uses, but it is not meant to take the place of all things cooking like grilling or roasting. It does, however, fill an awesome spot with its uses. Once started, the ideas will come pouring in

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    I dont know how frozen meat with structure destroyed by ice crystals could be any good. Plus defrosting in warm water makes it risky.
    Perfectly cooked, well, yes, if you mean not overcooked. I still love my meat oldschool when for example chicken skin is crispy and have that roasted flavour.
    Why is it not healthy? Youve never had good food that was once frozen?

Everything is risky, just dont be an idiot and pay attention and you will be safe.

You can sous vide AND have crispy/roasted/caramelized meat or poultry.

Salty, you use a Sous Vide Supreme at the restaurant? I thought the capacity is only like six or so portions. It's big enough for you?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Depending on where you live, flash frozen seafood is the best you are going to get IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I had it many times at home. Its cheaper and I found out that when you work 19 hours straight and youre coming home hungry theres not much of a choice. But in that case i go for microwave, rather than vide.
    Why is it risky? Please read Principles of Food Chemistry by John deMan.

I know mate, I was actually using sous vide to relax lamb. Fresh lamb. But you try it with frozen piece of meat...good luck
    Im not that kind of idiots who wouldnt use technique first but still neglect it.

Everything is risky, just dont be an idiot and pay attention and you will be safe.

Salty, you use a Sous Vide Supreme at the restaurant? I thought the capacity is only like six or so portions. It's big enough for you?
    I can do 8-9 portions. It's working every night. For now it's just big enough.

The health department was in the other day doing tests on heat and cool times. They are putting together the official plan for sous vide in the County. (We're the first) They're biggest concern is botulism. It seems it thrives in an oxygen depleted atmosphere. And botulism is some bad a$$ stuff.

I've gotten quite the education on the subject lately.

P.S. We crisp up the exterior of the meat on the grill before service. David Chang throws his short ribs in the fryer.

Botulin toxin is the strongest natural poison. If you could extract 1 pure gram and stick it in 1 million water glasses that many fatalities you would get. Out of one G

Botulin toxin is the strongest natural poison. If you could extract 1 pure gram and stick it in 1 million water glasses that many fatalities you would get. Out of one G
    FEAR MONGER!!!

I imagine if you treat it the same as any other cooking I will be fine. For example, if I decide to sous vide a chicken breast and save for later, I will need to have it come to room temperature before throwing in the fridge or freeze it quickly. Then when reheating I want to make sure I bring it up to temp to kill any bacteria aka the original cooking temp. Is this sound thinking or am I one of the stupid people?

Thanks to a member here I was able to pick up the SVS Demi with vacuum sealer and rack for 349.99 at Costco w/ free shipping. Thanks!