Quantcast
Least used knife? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least used knife?

My bread knife. But it still sees some good use, because the rest of my collection is currently just cleaver, carbon petty, heavy cleaver, and stainless petty.

My Deba is my least used knife behind my flexible Mac 7" Filet. Canadian, I hear what your saying about the Slicer/Suiji not being used that often. I feel the same, I have a Yusuke Sakai 300 Suji and a 210 HD Suiji gets little use. But at least they are relatively inexpensive. I just sold off my Kono HD 240 Kiritsuki and 165 Takeda Banno cause I wasn't grabbing for them either.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Is this a trick question?

I must admit that the least used are the 3rd or 4th 240 Gyuto; or the second cleaver..

Amongst the large blades the suji is certainly the least used -- with a home user. When I got my first one I felt I should have bought it years before, though. The relatively rare use doesn't mean it hasn't a great specific function. I wouldn't like to cut my roast with a chef's knife again. Not only because of the narrow blade to avoid dragging, but as well because it gets a very peculiar sharpening regimen.
    As for smaller blades, they seem to be more easily interchangeable. You may use a petty for occasional deboning, and do you really need a parer if you have a petty?

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    Is this a trick question?

I must admit that the least used are the 3rd or 4th 240 Gyuto; or the second cleaver..

+1

Butcher knife. So I wonder why I just picked a second one up on eBay tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Amongst the large blades the suji is certainly the least used -- with a home user. When I got my first one I felt I should have bought it years before, though. The relatively rare use doesn't mean it hasn't a great specific function. I wouldn't like to cut my roast with a chef's knife again. Not only because of the narrow blade to avoid dragging, but as well because it gets a very peculiar sharpening regimen.
    As for smaller blades, they seem to be more easily interchangeable. You may use a petty for occasional deboning, and do you really need a parer if you have a petty?
    I've never understood this petty/parer interchangeability that some people talk about. To me, the paring knife is strictly for in-hand work. While I can appreciate that some of the jobs of a paring knife can be carried out using a petty/utility knife, I have always found it to be unwieldy, awkward and sometime flat out the wrong tool for the job.

Now if you are talking a 4" petty, then that is simply a paring knife.

Regarding a petty and its functionality. Some might like it for small jobs, trimming, deboning chicken, etc. However, I would have to say for me personally that it falls under the same ruling of use as a slicing knife insofar that I feel a boning knife is a more appropriate and versatile pattern and thus that I what I use most.

I prefer paring knives to petty knives for all in hand work and I prefer a classical boning knife to a petty for all trimming and deboning tasks. Where does that leave a petty?

For me my knives are often seasonal. I almost never use a nakiri from April-September, but October onward when root veggies are utilized more in my cooking, I use it almost every day. I have had a Carter nakiri just lying on my counter all day long for a week or so.

My slicers tend to get more work in the summer when I grill, eat a lot of meat, and tend to special order more charcuterie. The HHH wootz slicer and Tsourkan are wonderful for charcuterie. Though I must admit the Marko gets used as much as any knife in my house.

My yanagiba gets the least use hands down. I just don't have fresh enough fish here.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I just don't have fresh enough fish here.
    k.
    I thought you guys had like 10,000 lakes?

My least used is a bread knife which is why I got rid of the nice one and got a Forschner. All gyuto's get pretty regular use or get sold fairly quickly.

Cheers
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Gyuto... ever since I got a cleaver