Name this knife? Knife/Kanji ID help, please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPD

Reaction score
A friend got this little curiosity probably about 10 years ago or more and I ended up with it but I don't really know what it is. Curious if anybody can identify the Kanji or add any info for me.
I was thinking about rehandling it (existing handle is really narrow and not seated fully anymore, though tight) and cleaning it up ..maybe to trade or maybe to keep...but before I do, would like to know what I'm working on.

It's single bevel and short at about 165mm. Kind of feels like a mini yanagiba. It was kurouchi but that has largely faded. Couple pics attached. Any help much appreciated.

odd11_zps7b63bf90.jpg

odd12_zpsd5698537.jpg

As best as I can tell it is "Forged - specially made - TomoTsugu" not 100% on the last character though.

Thanks. That helps a lot.

With the name, and the help of the great and powerful Google, I was able to find out a bit more. According to some reviews - looks like blade is blue #2, and it was something Japan Woodworker used to carry ages ago when they had their store in the Bay Area. That makes sense...their store was a cool little place back then...they always had an ecclectic and cool collection of things. I got my first Shig there once upon a time.

This guy is a pretty good cutter but I never use it. Size/shape is sort of an oddity for me ...guess I'll have to figure out what to do with it.

thanks for the translation!

That might be an Aritsugu knock-off.

How so??? Do you mean the name similarity? Or does something about the knife itself scream Aritsugu to you because I don't see that?

Back