Quantcast
Heat Treating - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat Treating

You would actually be using the piece hardening instructions, unless you're giving instructions to a larger heat treater or you have a very large heat treating furnace and many knives that you haven't told anyone about. The pdf I tried to put on rapidshare has a nice chart for holding time at austenitizing temperature. I'll e-mail it to you. The longer time required by what you're looking at is because you're looking at the instructions for the batch hardening. The hold times for piece hardening on the Sandvik website look fine though.

You can use just about any plates as long as they are thick enough.

You don't need to cool it in the fridge first. Around room temperature is fine.

Larrin -

I'm sorry, I meant "Batch Furnace", not "Batch Hardening". There is also a "Belt Furnace" option, which I don't understand so I thought an oven like we're talking about would be the "Batch Furnace".

I would want the "Piece Hardening with Deep Freezing", correct?

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Larrin -

I'm sorry, I meant "Batch Furnace", not "Batch Hardening". There is also a "Belt Furnace" option, which I don't understand so I thought an oven like we're talking about would be the "Batch Furnace".

Even though you won't be using a belt furnace you will be doing piece hardening so it is the one you should look at.

Piece hardening with deep freezing is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Larrin -

I think a belt furnace is what Wusthof uses. They run the blades down a belt and the time is controlled by how fast the belt goes through the furnace. Its like the pizza ovens they have a Costco and Sams. Stick the pizza in one side and its finished when it reaches the other side.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Kind of assumed that's what a belt furnace was, but didn't know enough to be sure.

Thanks Larrin, I appreciate it.

Buy the quenching plates, unless you like seeing the flash from the burning oil. It may be cheaper just to get aluminum plates from your local metal supplier.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Larrin -

Got the email....thanks.