Quantcast
WTB: Vintage Oyster Knife(s)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Vintage Oyster Knife(s)

WTB: Vintage Oyster Knife(s)

Title says it all. Will be apart of a new raw bar that's opening in a few weeks. Looking for something sexy and functional.

I saw an awesome example on ebay in Australia if it helps?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-V...item3cd3304ace

Very happy with my R. Murphy New Haven oyster knife. The design of the wooden handle and carbon blade hasn't changed for many years, and their inexpensive at $14—just get one and get it dirty with a nice patina.

Bloodroot Blades makes some gorgeous oyster knives, but they are price—too rich for my blood.

Picked up a knife, know looking for a glove. Need something reliable and durable. Also, on my station I will be handling charcuterie and slicing crudo, so I'll need something that can come off and on quickly. Any recommendations?

I'm a social shucker, not to be confused with a pro. Gave up on finding the right glove long ago and use small hand towels instead. Good grip, some measure of protection, can wipe blade clean easily. Most pro shuckers in local oyster bars do same.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I use a heavy duty Kevlar coated glove and a hand towel when I've had to shuck... you could always use the wooden block that comes in most "oyster shuck kits" - wrap a towel over it, would help with not having to put a glove back on and off...

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I usually stab myself in the forearm when shucking, so a glove does no good. I would just 86 it if at all possible.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

i shuck thousands per week when i was on that specific section and we honestly use teatowels and they are basicly more for support because of the way you roll them. if you need a glove you are doing something very wrong you use almost no pressure to shuck oysters its all about finding the hinge and giving it a slight twist and using leverage. we have up to 20 varieties on our menu at a time. and even with the harder oysters you dont use pressure. alot of new guys use alot of pressure and they end up stabbing themselves and the oysters. if i see one stab or mutilation it goes in the bin... time and technique are important.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I usually stab myself in the forearm when shucking, so a glove does no good. I would just 86 it if at all possible.
    You and me both brother...
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    i shuck thousands per week when i was on that specific section and we honestly use teatowels and they are basicly more for support because of the way you roll them. if you need a glove you are doing something very wrong you use almost no pressure to shuck oysters its all about finding the hinge and giving it a slight twist and using leverage. we have up to 20 varieties on our menu at a time. and even with the harder oysters you dont use pressure. alot of new guys use alot of pressure and they end up stabbing themselves and the oysters. if i see one stab or mutilation it goes in the bin... time and technique are important.
    thanks for the advice!

+ Reply to Thread