• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Vintage Oyster Knife(s)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Power

Reaction score
Title says it all. Will be apart of a new raw bar that's opening in a few weeks. Looking for something sexy and functional.

Very happy with my R. Murphy New Haven oyster knife. The design of the wooden handle and carbon blade hasn't changed for many years, and their inexpensive at $14—just get one and get it dirty with a nice patina.

Bloodroot Blades makes some gorgeous oyster knives, but they are price—too rich for my blood.

Picked up a knife, know looking for a glove. Need something reliable and durable. Also, on my station I will be handling charcuterie and slicing crudo, so I'll need something that can come off and on quickly. Any recommendations?

I'm a social shucker, not to be confused with a pro. Gave up on finding the right glove long ago and use small hand towels instead. Good grip, some measure of protection, can wipe blade clean easily. Most pro shuckers in local oyster bars do same.

I use a heavy duty Kevlar coated glove and a hand towel when I've had to shuck... you could always use the wooden block that comes in most "oyster shuck kits" - wrap a towel over it, would help with not having to put a glove back on and off...

I usually stab myself in the forearm when shucking, so a glove does no good. I would just 86 it if at all possible.

i shuck thousands per week when i was on that specific section and we honestly use teatowels and they are basicly more for support because of the way you roll them. if you need a glove you are doing something very wrong you use almost no pressure to shuck oysters its all about finding the hinge and giving it a slight twist and using leverage. we have up to 20 varieties on our menu at a time. and even with the harder oysters you dont use pressure. alot of new guys use alot of pressure and they end up stabbing themselves and the oysters. if i see one stab or mutilation it goes in the bin... time and technique are important.

i shuck thousands per week when i was on that specific section and we honestly use teatowels and they are basicly more for support because of the way you roll them. if you need a glove you are doing something very wrong you use almost no pressure to shuck oysters its all about finding the hinge and giving it a slight twist and using leverage. we have up to 20 varieties on our menu at a time. and even with the harder oysters you dont use pressure. alot of new guys use alot of pressure and they end up stabbing themselves and the oysters. if i see one stab or mutilation it goes in the bin... time and technique are important.

thanks for the advice!

Bubinga and brass looks nice, Great choice! :thumbsup:

Where are you working at? I am planning to visit Syd end of the year.

What is your shucker of choice?

Very happy with my R. Murphy New Haven oyster knife. The design of the wooden handle and carbon blade hasn't changed for many years, and their inexpensive at $14—just get one and get it dirty with a nice patina.

Bloodroot Blades makes some gorgeous oyster knives, but they are price—too rich for my blood.

Never heard of those guys before, I just checked out their site nice looking knives. The way the page is written, reads like it's one of us writing it, anyone know if the makers hang out here?

Sad to say but Some places will make you wear one. I don't use one that either but I also find it faster and easier to open them in my palm rather than using a bench, that way I can leverage with both hands

i have nightmares opening oysters. i have the scars to prove it. i actually had to to to the ER and the doc sewing me up sent me to a buddy who gave me a lesson. DUMB! i had crap insurance too, so it cost me alot.

i now use the cheap generic white handled knife i got from a local oyster farm. i hate it.

i remember the guy teaching me told me to get a New Haven style oyster knife. it has a thinner tip and it is curved. this thread has motivated me to buy one. probably get the cheap victorinox one.

oyster season is here in the bay area.!! gotta get off my ass.

How bout these guys I picked up recently?

1119131204b[1].jpg
1119131205a[1].jpg
1119131205[1].jpg

and

1119132222[1].jpg

Attachments

• 1119132222b[1].jpg
    1119132222b[1].jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 93
they look wicked, how much were they rick ?

Damn I hadn't checked this thread in a minute and didn't realize Rick and Niloc had posted in it. I came here to show this, which happened tonight (roughly two weeks after open):

C11E309E-8258-4B7B-BBEE-7FA8C6FB3025.jpg

It was the other guy on raw bar using my knife, not me, but with our inexperience, I can't say it couldn't have happened to me. We have been shucking wild-caught Blue Points. It seems as if the majority of them require a lot of work just to get to the sweet spot. Is this normal? When the path is clear I can do it in under ten seconds, when it's not, I seem to be trying to knock off a lot of barnicles. One of our prep cooks tries to scrub them, but he's new at it too.

Any tips? Niloc any chance you're finally willing to sell me one of your vintages? Rick can you tell me where you got yours?

The antique ones can be hit or miss, I have broken many myself. Most of them were made by the men that opened oysters for a living (and a horrible living at that) so not exactly expert's at heat treating.
antique ones are great but I use the ones made by Cummings at work, they don't brake. The two sights above have some really nice knives like try out my self.

they look wicked, how much were they rick ?

Never saw this thread pop back up. The bottom one was like $15 and the top one was like $26. I love the much older one. It can be used for a couple of different styles of opening "stabbing" and "striking" but I'm learning it quickly and I really appreciate the results you can achieve. Great for clams too.

i suck at opening oysters..i would be dead in the water with those. not enough fat in the handle for me to twist/torque a burly bayarea oyster up. we have some fighters in our waters.

That's not how you use them though. They are made for slipping between the halves of the shells next to the abductor muscle then slicing the muscle and it just opens gently. Or you can use the strike method where you hold it by the blade and strike the oyster on the flat side near the abductor, shocking it into relaxing, then slipping between the shells and slicing the muscle. I prefer the "stab" method over the "strike" but the classic American "pry" method certainly still has its place with me for some oysters.

Basicly you dont use for its about technique finding the hinge getting past it so you can get to the muscle that holds the shell togethor once you cut that muscle the oyster dies and releases any suction with the top shell then you insert you shuck under the oyster and disengage the bottom part. Brush it lightly so you retain all natural liquor because this it what gives each oyster is flavor the estuary's were its been grown hve been chosen at each important part of the oysters life to build the character the farmer wants. Then serve at the correct temperature depending on the oyster for maximum depth of flavor. If oysters are kept at the correct temperatures they gain more flavor the longer they are stored to a point when they start to die. Sorry I went on a bit there but its all equally important to respect the ingrediants as much as the actual technique of opening and preparing an oyster.

******* auro correct made the first part make little to no sense haha.

I have an oyster knife coming from one of the makers on this forum, it will be badass! I'll post pics when it's ready :)

Will definetely be interested in this. I'm in the market for a new, and kickass, oyster knife.

Back