Quantcast
WTB: Vintage Oyster Knife(s) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTB: Vintage Oyster Knife(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    they look wicked, how much were they rick ?
    Never saw this thread pop back up. The bottom one was like $15 and the top one was like $26. I love the much older one. It can be used for a couple of different styles of opening "stabbing" and "striking" but I'm learning it quickly and I really appreciate the results you can achieve. Great for clams too.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I have an oyster knife coming from one of the makers on this forum, it will be badass! I'll post pics when it's ready
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    How bout these guys I picked up recently?

Attachment 20423
    Attachment 20424
    Attachment 20425

and

Attachment 20426
    i suck at opening oysters..i would be dead in the water with those. not enough fat in the handle for me to twist/torque a burly bayarea oyster up. we have some fighters in our waters.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    i suck at opening oysters..i would be dead in the water with those. not enough fat in the handle for me to twist/torque a burly bayarea oyster up. we have some fighters in our waters.
    That's not how you use them though. They are made for slipping between the halves of the shells next to the abductor muscle then slicing the muscle and it just opens gently. Or you can use the strike method where you hold it by the blade and strike the oyster on the flat side near the abductor, shocking it into relaxing, then slipping between the shells and slicing the muscle. I prefer the "stab" method over the "strike" but the classic American "pry" method certainly still has its place with me for some oysters.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

So what is the difference between methods of shucking?

Basicly you dont use for its about technique finding the hinge getting past it so you can get to the muscle that holds the shell togethor once you cut that muscle the oyster dies and releases any suction with the top shell then you insert you shuck under the oyster and disengage the bottom part. Brush it lightly so you retain all natural liquor because this it what gives each oyster is flavor the estuary's were its been grown hve been chosen at each important part of the oysters life to build the character the farmer wants. Then serve at the correct temperature depending on the oyster for maximum depth of flavor. If oysters are kept at the correct temperatures they gain more flavor the longer they are stored to a point when they start to die. Sorry I went on a bit there but its all equally important to respect the ingrediants as much as the actual technique of opening and preparing an oyster.

******* auro correct made the first part make little to no sense haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    I have an oyster knife coming from one of the makers on this forum, it will be badass! I'll post pics when it's ready
    Will definetely be interested in this. I'm in the market for a new, and kickass, oyster knife.

Bloodroot blades had a couple of oyster knives available in there latest email
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono