Is 13 really my lucky number?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef Niloc

Banned
Reaction score
Let's hope so:

Me and Dave took a trip to NYC today, we brought Del, Bill and Hoss with us to. You know where we went?

By Dave, Hoss, Dell and Bill I'm of course referring to these:
Daves #13 came to me just about the time my whole world got turned upside down son13 never got any full time action. I thought this. Special occasion would be a suitable initiation.

379E42D2-6423-40A0-9030-011CC57C64B0-2843-00000389E4ECA3B3_zps729a7a0a.jpg

BBB0C515-25C5-4636-ADC0-217E3B393D28-2853-0000038EB265F342_zpse68a1b9d.jpg

793915E8-D012-4795-A53E-AFDAA135BF48-2853-0000038ECDD41624_zps79fa9437.jpg

Ok ok I know where did we all go you wondering right?
Well.......

8403E746-7BC7-4578-A2EA-5B3714EC90CA-2843-00000389B86DA4DE_zpsad2d6267.jpg

I was called in for a 2nd interview and had a funny feeling that I might be doing a little cooking, glad I brought my friends with me. They seemed impressed that they didn't catch me off guard or maybe that I anticipated the "surprise"

I must admit I'm no slouch but these guys had me feeling a little out of place, I hope it didn't show? I'm sure it's no surprise to any of you that These boys really have there act together.

I think it went well? I have never had a surprise tryout that lasted 11 hours plus a extra 2 or 3 afterwards. Whether I get the job or not it was certainly a great experience just seeing how they operate. They actually put me through the ropes, starting me out with basic prep work, I'm assuming to evaluate knife skills cleanliness and how I move about a kitchen.
Then I moved over to pantry, the chef de partie was a class act. Helpful, explain things clearly and not in a snobbish manner at all, very pleasant to work with. I think the chef de cuisine liked how fast I picked up the dishes and plating, I took over 1/2 the station after 20 min or so, timing and anticipating the pass. After that he pulled me over to expo, didn't have me call tickets (would have been surprised if he did), but the fact that he had me finishing the plates with and then for him I took as a very good sign the “interview“ was going well. He also took a likening to hoss and Del.. Especially Del he loved the shape and functionality and of course the looks.

881D8975-D2F3-4A7C-AF1B-DA0E37B85540-2843-0000038A05EB140C_zps29898986.jpg

As for Dave, everyone was fondling Dave all day some asked and some kind of just helped themselves but did it obviously and looked at me to read my face to make sure was okay. 1st I'll bet many are wondering what knives I saw being used by the chefs there? Shuns all around. Everyone thought Dave was A handsome fella, and most were surprised at the weight lots of "wow it's really light" and of course "dam that's sharp, sharp as hell, or just a surprised look". Got some looks when I reach for it to break down a case of butternut squash. After service he asked me my evaluation of the chefs I worked with during the day, and then he had me to put together a "mock schedule", that kind of came about as kind of a joke. one of the senior Sous's after service said to the chef. (Kind of joking) "what are you going to have this guy do next,make the schedule)? I butted in and said "that's actually one of my strong points".

After service (as I mentioned earlier)
the chef and I talk for actually a few hours so we'll see if number 13 is my lucky number

Good luck! I hope you get it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck, chef!

Stefan

Awesome story. People would pay money and stand in line for that same experience job or no job.
Good luck to you, but it sounds like 13 already has that covered.

First off, congrats! Sounds like an awesome experience no matter how it turns out. 2nd, I'll bet you will get a lot of "hey, can you get me a table for such and such night...?" But allow me to be the first, I'd like a table for 2 some time in the spring. :biggrin:
But seriously, that sounds awesome!
And one other thing, I fekking love those Del spoons, especially the flatter tipped of the two!

Colin, you deserve this, and no doubt crushed it! When I'm in town, I'm popping in!

Sensational Colin! Once in a lifetime experience and you have it in the bag by the sounds of things...

:bliss:

The question is, how big is Dave's head now after being fondled all day, and having folks commenting on his handsomeness?:rofl2:

Fingers crossed for you Colin. I'm feeling 13 may well be your lucky number.

Good luck, it seems that The interview went well. I'm a hiring manager at where I work and when the interview goes outside the interview "process" and becomes more of a conversation then that's a good sign.

Colin, you'll love it there. I had a chance to work with Sebastien, the exec pastry chef last year. Wonderful guy to work with and I expect he's very representative of the kind of people you'll be working with. Congrats!

Congrats Colin. Looks like things could turn around in 13. Best wishes on the potential job.

Awesome job dude. And I love blowing peoples minds that have Shun's. If you get this gig does it mean you will sell me one or two of your oyster knives? :D

Congrats! I will not pester you for a table though; I'm happy eating back in a corner of the kitchen

Honestly now I rather prefer eating there.

Gratz on the 2nd interview Colin, hope you get the position. Makes all the work you had to do this past year worth every bad moment of it. :thumbsup:

Back