Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest?

At this point I am mainly looking for knives I can buy for family members. So 180-210 range would be great. More specifically 180 in a traditional petty (like a suji), and a 210 in a cross between gyuto and suji (the "line knife"). So I am kinda in agreement with the first marc4pt0. I will refrain from responding to the claims of the second marc4pt0, other than to say the first one produces some fantastic food.

I think a nikiri would be cool.

I'm still waiting for the Wa handled offers!

Anyway, if i understand it's to be a mid-tech and as such you need a bit of bigger numbers. then from that i draw the conclusion that one should aim for the popular knives. I'd go for a p120-150 petty and a 210 gyuto and possibly a parer. That makes it possible to fit into the needs of a larger audience and should be cheapish enough to make nice gifts.

Now back to the Wa options...

Not that I have much use for one, but I like the filet knife idea; an excellent, functional, beautiful, and affordable filet knife may be a market nitch. But what do I know, I am a lowly home cook...

Stefan

Not many makers are offering "line knives " . Call them long petty or short suji but something between 190-210mm. Most of pro's (including myself ) will put down their big gyutos and sujis and look for something smaller and nimble for the service for example to slice a piece of cooked meat. Preferabally something not very tall to eliminate the drag ,maybe something semi stainless so yo don't have to worry about maintenance if you don't wipe it dry after couple minutes during busy service

A 10" cimeter/breaking knife in stainless would be cool. Doesn't have to be fancy but should by sturdy but have some flex, take a nice edge, and affordable would be nice too. I currently use Forschner and Kershaw breaking knives. The Kershaw http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/...h-granton-edge will take a nice edge but the carbon in it does cause some surface rust if not taken care of immediately. I do a bunch of fishing/spearing down here both recreationally and commercial along with running charters so I use my knives often. I think this would be a nice option. Something to tame beasts like this

Awesome input guys. and NICE groupers!

Keep it coming. Im gaining lots of useful info so far and am glad to get it.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Wa handled offers!

Anyway, if i understand it's to be a mid-tech and as such you need a bit of bigger numbers. then from that i draw the conclusion that one should aim for the popular knives. I'd go for a p120-150 petty and a 210 gyuto and possibly a parer. That makes it possible to fit into the needs of a larger audience and should be cheapish enough to make nice gifts.

Now back to the Wa options...
    Your gona like the next offering! Its a wa style handle.. Not a true wa. but a full tang wa shaped handle.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Your gona like the next offering! Its a wa style handle.. Not a true wa. but a full tang wa shaped handle.
    Why go halfway? Wa:s rule...

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    Why go halfway? Wa:s rule...
    This is how I make wa style handles. So I am going all the way.

Availible Knives