Quantcast
Gauging interest? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest?

My current line slicer is 40mm high at the heel and 240mm edge length. I think that works well and has ample knuckle clearance. At 202 long and 45mm it seems like a narrowish Gyuto rather than a hybrid. I think for me 38-40mm would be ideal, and narrowing a touch more towards the tip.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    My current line slicer is 40mm high at the heel and 240mm edge length. I think that works well and has ample knuckle clearance. At 202 long and 45mm it seems like a narrowish Gyuto rather than a hybrid. I think for me 38-40mm would be ideal, and narrowing a touch more towards the tip.
    OK. Im gona tune one of these in. Refine the height. and regrind as needed. Thank you for the input. and info.

Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Huw. I reworked one of them. What ya think?

40mm tall at heel and now 200mm from tip to heel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HHH Midway proto take 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	21696  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

That is some hot stuff right there.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

That would suit me! It looks awesome.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Availible Knives

Randy, the Midway is looking great! Guessing you'll have a lot of takers.

Going back to the original thread, I've got to echo the cheers for a Nakiri if you're still contemplating production model ideas. The damascus Nakiri's you've made have been gorgeous!!

If I had the budget right now, I'd be knocking people over to get in line to commission one (maybe, in the ultimate dream, with a chance to mate one of my own Wa handle for it). More realistically, I'd be very interested in a production model. I think either a 165mm or, if going with my personal dream: a slightly unusual 190mm (standards seem to be 165-180-210)....I like the idea of a 7.5" (eg 190mm blade) on a nakiri. Since you're not doing much tip work with a Nakiri - i think a 190 would be a really good universal size for prep work in a pro or home kitchen. It's not too long for a tight workspace or a smaller home kitchen cutting board.....but it's long enough to eat up any vegetable prep tasks thrown at it for a pro.

Wa handle, neutral balance -- think that would be a popular beast.

I'm a big fan of the so-called line knife, especially ones designed with that in mind and not just a 210 suji/petty, which I find too short for some tasks. You've got my attention.

Here are some images of the proto type for this Midway. I have adjusted the blade height and grinds. This one is approx 200mm tip to heel. 40mm tall at the heel.

Handles are G-10 with brass pins and H mosaic pin.

I ground the knife thin, yet left it ridged. Spine is rounded, heel is relieved. and handles are highly contoured.

I have a second one. That I left the heel height at about 43mm that I intend to throw some handles on and send out for testing to a few chefs in pro kitchen.

Thanks for looking and all the input
    Randy

Name:	Line knife. 055 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	21820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line knife. 036 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	21821  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line knife. 034 (1024x683).jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	21822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line knife. 033 (1024x683).jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	21823  

Name:	Line knife. 035 (1024x683).jpg 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	21824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line knife. 046 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	21825  

Availible Knives

This one is just cool!! The handles on this are made from coffee bags. I cant remember if it was Honduran or one of the African's. The bags were made into this custom marcarta. Sorry about the bad photos. Ill try in natural light tomorrow.

Anyways. 200mm AEB-L Midway proto type 2

Name:	Midway line knife 028 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	21832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway line knife 004 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	21839  

Name:	Midway line knife 010 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	21838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway line knife 012 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	21837  

Availible Knives