Bridge Town Forge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spent yesterday in Arnon Kartmazov's Bridge Town Forge shop in Portland Oregon. This wasn't my first visit there but it is always super interesting watching him work. He forged 15-inch blade gyuto from raw bar stock using two power hammers and two furnaces at the same time. An anvil was set between the furnaces for the fine hand work. Looking around at the work in progress, I have the impression over size qyutos must be very popular with foodies in Portland.

Pics or this clearly never happened… pipe dreams in Portland. :cop::cop::cop::cop::cop:

I spent yesterday in Arnon Kartmazov's Bridge Town Forge shop in Portland Oregon. This wasn't my first visit there but it is always super interesting watching him work. He forged 15-inch blade gyuto from raw bar stock using two power hammers and two furnaces at the same time. An anvil was set between the furnaces for the fine hand work. Looking around at the work in progress, I have the impression over size qyutos must be very popular with foodies in Portland.

Why have I not seen this?! I'm curious about the location. If his work is reasonably priced, I might check him out.

1812 N. Columbia Blvd. but be ready to really look for it. You can't see the place from the highway, its kind of down an alley and behind another old industrial warehouse. Prices wise, he is lower than some of the handmade kitchen knife guys but it is still custom work so not cheap.

Thanks for the info! I'll check him out some day. Kind of hard to get a good representation of his work based on his website!

I know. When it comes to knives, the website sucks but he does just about everything in the way of Japanese style blades. Another guy that apprenticed out over there at the same time Carter did.

sweet, his shop's just a few minutes from my house. My old chef has a yanagi from him and he used to come in the restaurant from time to time to hang out a bit. His work has a ton of character and style, everything I've seen from him is not light by any means but well made.

I'm going to have to check this out, it looks like it could be fun to try his work!

Latest posts

Back