Quantcast
Opinions and thoughts needed on petty choice - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and thoughts needed on petty choice

I have a Ginga stainless gyuto that I like a lot. Subsequently bought my daughter a Ginga 150 stainless petty - best knife she ever owned. Compares well to Suisin IH but keeps a good bit of coin in your pocket. However. Don't know that a laser petty (some flex) would be my first choice for a lot of in-hand work.

The knives you listed are all over map on price point, carbon and stainless, laser to substantial. Seems like a fon call to JKI would be time well spent.

Good luck.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I have a Kato 150mm. It takes a very very good edge and has better edgeretension than my White steel knife. It does have a tendency to patina but that is all. It doesn't create rust and doesn't discolour food. I love this knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Oui Chef View Post
    Yea I suppose so. any petty's to recommend other than the suisins?
    I have an unexpensive Hiromoto Ginsanko-3, well built, not too nimble, easy sharpening, I may suggest.

Sorry guys, wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I have a Ginga stainless gyuto that I like a lot. Subsequently bought my daughter a Ginga 150 stainless petty - best knife she ever owned. Compares well to Suisin IH but keeps a good bit of coin in your pocket. However. Don't know that a laser petty (some flex) would be my first choice for a lot of in-hand work.

The knives you listed are all over map on price point, carbon and stainless, laser to substantial. Seems like a fon call to JKI would be time well spent.

Good luck.
    Yea I know, budgeting and a knife habit don't sit side by side so swell!
    Cheers for your input, might give him a buzz

Hiromoto AS 150 petty is a workhorse small blade,takes a sharp edge & has good retention.

I just recieved a gonbei 150 petty that jon carries. its swedish stainless, with a nice iichi handle and its cheap. the steel is tough plus the blade is much thicker than ginga or suisin inox, which is what i wanted. ill be using it for some minor in hand butchery and other normal petty tasks. ootb impressions are pretty good. seems like a good bang for your buck knife. havent used it yet, but ill be breaking it in all weekend long.

Between my DT petty and Hiro AS rehandled and thinned by Dave, I am in heaven. Don't think about this any more.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Between my DT petty and Hiro AS rehandled and thinned by Dave, I am in heaven. Don't think about this any more.

k.
    Of course you are! A hiromoto with Dave's touch and a DT who wouldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I just recieved a gonbei 150 petty that jon carries. its swedish stainless, with a nice iichi handle and its cheap. the steel is tough plus the blade is much thicker than ginga or suisin inox, which is what i wanted. ill be using it for some minor in hand butchery and other normal petty tasks. ootb impressions are pretty good. seems like a good bang for your buck knife. havent used it yet, but ill be breaking it in all weekend long.
    Let me know how it goes man!

I ordered this 150mm petty for a friend. It's a real beauty.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Sh-11.jpg

Cheers,

Jack