Opinions and thoughts needed on petty choice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oui Chef

Reaction score
I need a petty. So begins the fun process of choosing which petty I need.
I'm a righty, pro chef, looking at 150mm blade length (want to do in hand work), the options I mentioned highlight my price points: I'm currently tossing up between a
kato, really want to try out a Kato, but from what I hear the primary cutting performance advantage of Kato's is their grind, which might not make a difference much in the utility work I'd use a petty for. Best to get a large Kato gyuto to experience it properly?
Gesshin ginga, thin and stainless (kind of ideal on paper)
masakage yuki, massive fan of the aesthetics, not sure of reputation
masakage kujira, hot looking knife, sounds like the steel has been treated very well.
sakai yusuke, heard only good things
or a Marko custom...
Stain resistance is a plus but not necessary. My kitchen is so fast paced that even the seconds after cutting an onion are precious (think 17 hours days with no breaks going as hard as you can).
Don't know if I should just go for a gesshin because I know it'll perform and it's priced we'll, or go for a Marko that I'll never want to put down, or jump into a Kato.. How reactive is the Kato?
Thoughts?

As a petty edge has a small contact area with the board, gets some abuse, it will be sharpened more often, and wear our quickly. Don't spend too much on it.

As a petty edge has a small contact area with the board, gets some abuse, it will be sharpened more often, and wear our quickly. Don't spend too much on it.

Agreed. I have a suisin western inox petty that I use and am very happy with it. It is very laser-y like that Ginga but if bad things happen to it I wont be too upset because it isn't too expensive. Save your money for gyutos and stuff IMHO.

None of my knives see abuse except my old Whustie :)

For a moment, or a second, the pinched expressions of the cynical, world-weary, throat-cutting, miserable bastards we've all had to become disappears, when we're confronted with something as simple as a plate of food. - Bourdain

I think abuse is a relative term. I didn't really mean that you cut on stainless or throw your knives around. I meant that if you baby all of your knives the petty will still get the most wear from equal amounts of use. At least that is the case in my experience.

Agreed. I have a suisin western inox petty that I use and am very happy with it. It is very laser-y like that Ginga but if bad things happen to it I wont be too upset because it isn't too expensive. Save your money for gyutos and stuff IMHO.

+1! I have the same, and it's perfect, especially after break-in sharpening.

I have a Gesshin Ginga 210mm petty in white #2 that just might be my favorite all around knife (line work, sushi, carving protein, etc.) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a Gesshin Ginga 210mm petty in white #2 that just might be my favorite all around knife (line work, sushi, carving protein, etc.) Hope this helps.
Maybe the ginga is my best bet, I think you get great knives for the prices. I don't know if white 2 would be too reactive for my situation.
Any stainless users want to chip in on how the steel goes?

I think abuse is a relative term. I didn't really mean that you cut on stainless or throw your knives around. I meant that if you baby all of your knives the petty will still get the most wear from equal amounts of use. At least that is the case in my experience.

Yea I suppose so. any petty's to recommend other than the suisins?

I have a Sakai Yusuke 150 petty, which is exceptional. Most used knife in our home kitchen, wife loves to use it to prep veggies. Light, thin, great cutter.

I have a Ginga stainless gyuto that I like a lot. Subsequently bought my daughter a Ginga 150 stainless petty - best knife she ever owned. Compares well to Suisin IH but keeps a good bit of coin in your pocket. However. Don't know that a laser petty (some flex) would be my first choice for a lot of in-hand work.

The knives you listed are all over map on price point, carbon and stainless, laser to substantial. Seems like a fon call to JKI would be time well spent.

Good luck.

I have a Kato 150mm. It takes a very very good edge and has better edgeretension than my White steel knife. It does have a tendency to patina but that is all. It doesn't create rust and doesn't discolour food. I love this knife.

I have a Ginga stainless gyuto that I like a lot. Subsequently bought my daughter a Ginga 150 stainless petty - best knife she ever owned. Compares well to Suisin IH but keeps a good bit of coin in your pocket. However. Don't know that a laser petty (some flex) would be my first choice for a lot of in-hand work.

The knives you listed are all over map on price point, carbon and stainless, laser to substantial. Seems like a fon call to JKI would be time well spent.

Good luck.

Yea I know, budgeting and a knife habit don't sit side by side so swell!
Cheers for your input, might give him a buzz

Hiromoto AS 150 petty is a workhorse small blade,takes a sharp edge & has good retention.

I just recieved a gonbei 150 petty that jon carries. its swedish stainless, with a nice iichi handle and its cheap. the steel is tough plus the blade is much thicker than ginga or suisin inox, which is what i wanted. ill be using it for some minor in hand butchery and other normal petty tasks. ootb impressions are pretty good. seems like a good bang for your buck knife. havent used it yet, but ill be breaking it in all weekend long.

Between my DT petty and Hiro AS rehandled and thinned by Dave, I am in heaven. Don't think about this any more.

k.
Of course you are! A hiromoto with Dave's touch and a DT who wouldn't be? :)

I just recieved a gonbei 150 petty that jon carries. its swedish stainless, with a nice iichi handle and its cheap. the steel is tough plus the blade is much thicker than ginga or suisin inox, which is what i wanted. ill be using it for some minor in hand butchery and other normal petty tasks. ootb impressions are pretty good. seems like a good bang for your buck knife. havent used it yet, but ill be breaking it in all weekend long.

Let me know how it goes man!

Your friend will be happy,like the grey dyed burl wt. the mat finished grey Damascus

Back