Quantcast
Editing Posts - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Editing Posts

  1. #21
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    210
    Having recently gone off on an alcohol-induced tangent, I wish I could delete some of my posts.
    Nevertheless, on the most basic level, I agree with Dave.
    Be prepared to live with what you say, or keep your mouth shut. If you really care about what people think of you, you might consider drafting and reviewing your remarks before you post them.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    3,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    Having recently gone off on an alcohol-induced tangent, I wish I could delete some of my posts.
    Don't worry, all of our alcohol-enhanced posts will pale in comparison to Oivind's where he could barely type and still posted that he was a lesbian from his iPhone (see below). It is when you drunken PM people and buy knives -- that is when the problems develop.

    Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Im female and also a lesbian. Im also very drunk now and on my iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Woha!

    Sorrry for be9ing drunk and posting1
    My GF is on a vacation and Im alone homeee nad drunk
    Gonna stop readduing on the forum and go too bed now. Just wanted to vheck in to see if everyone was ok
    Seee you all tomorroew
    Paryt on!!!
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

  3. #23
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,297
    Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    Why are these not reason to edit a Post?

    If I remember correctly, this site was initiated because of your complaints of those things occurring on another site. Sometimes the better part of valor is to bite your tongue.... It seems you have proven my point.

    Constructive criticism should be accepted as constructive - not denigrated.

    James

    James, I did not mean to offend and I offer my sincerest apologies to yourself and Jack if I have done so.

    I hope that we can always talk here at KKF openly about changes and improvements to the site but please understand that not everything can or will be changed and not always can a reason be given. People should always feel welcome to post constructive comments but we all have to understand that sometimes we can't get what we want, myself included, what's done is for the greater good of the long term growth of the community.

  4. #24
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    I can't speak for James but I'm not offended in the least, Dave. What ultimately annoys me about the policy is that, as a writer, I value my words and dislike losing control over them. I understand that any content we contribute to this site is no longer our property once we click the "submit" button, and I understand that you want to protect this uncompensated content from the hysterical mass-editing Keyser Söze everyone keeps mentioning. Being aware of those things, though, doesn't make them less frustrating.

    Beyond the ownership rights, it's also a seemingly arbitrary denial of our right to privacy: sober and thoughtful, irritated and rash, drunk and stupid we put our necks out to contribute to your site and, for no reason beyond Keyser Söze's looming eraser, we're unable to pull our neck back in (despite the option being readily available and frequently employed on other forums).

    So no, I'm not offended, it's just something that frustrates me and I figured this was an appropriate thread in which to vocalize it. Life moves on, I'll let the matter rest.

    Cheers,

    -Jack

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    As a wordsmith yourself I'm surprised to find you in favor of edit limits, but that's cool. To be quite honest, the fact that you demand permanent access to the drunken, stupid mistakes people make is a lot more voyeuristic and "gossipy" than these fantasy people who spew nonsense on the internet knowing they can go back and edit it later.
    Well, I did start this thread to rave about how much I love that nobody can see that I edit almost every.single.post. It's one of the great things about the internet, the lack of L'esprit de l'escalier. Unfortunately for those who dabble in emotional communication and ego-bound expression, communication is irreversible--you can never really undo or alter what is already expressed, only add to it. Even deleting it altogether is a new, additional act of expression regarding the original content.

    I would link you to some great examples of why forever editing is a bad idea, but it would be on LiveJournal. I used to keep in touch with friends via LiveJournal, back before Facebook was open to the public, and it became very insular--there are those who get on LiveJournal and read obsessively, and those that miss out on what is being discussed because someone got offended, or changed their minds, etc. Everyone was just trying to keep in touch with each other, and it became known for "drama".

    The end result of forever editing is a false sense of recourse and a lackadaisical attitude toward your role in the post itself--if the message is decoded improperly, not only can you clarify it to the parties interested, but you can synthesize time travel by actually altering the original message. It may be cathartic for you, but it is ineffectual, because what was written has already been written and read.

    The point is, if it is even moderately important, the moderators will be happy to oblige and change critical wording for you. If it is personal, social, or emotional, editing the posts will not in fact change what has already happened, even in regards to a future audience, and will only serve to reduce remorse carried in the ego of those who feel guilty or ashamed of their own behavior.

  6. #26
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,773
    Write what you mean and mean what you write.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  7. #27

    JohnnyChance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,001
    Ehh, we are talking about knives, not writing a piece of legislature or negotiating a business deal. I understand that you cherish your words, but it's a knife forum, it's not that serious, people will forgive you for misspelled word or incorrect grammar on occasion.

    I also get annoyed when I think I have composed a perfect (especially if lengthy) post and then later notice I have some small mistake. But, in the end, not that big of a deal. If it is really bugging you, feel free to PM me and I will change it for you.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

  8. #28
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Ehh, we are talking about knives, not writing a piece of legislature or negotiating a business deal. I understand that you cherish your words, but it's a knife forum, it's not that serious
    Explaining how our posts are just inconsequential chatter is an argument for letting people edit in retrospect, Johnny. I said my piece and told myself not to keep rattling this rather trivial cage with my unpopular opinion, but c'mon man. That's a freebie.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts