Quantcast
Editing Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Editing Posts

Editing Posts

I have to take a moment to say, I love that this site doesn't mark posts as edited!

When it does, it really drives me nuts because I wind up editing almost every post and comment, even if I proofread it and preview.

See what I mean?! I had to edit this one even! Criminey!

Can you make it so the person who started the thread can edit the first post even after people post in the thread? It is handy for informational/faq/link database type threads where you want to add info to the first page. Or if you dont to or cant enable it, can I PM a mod to be able to do this if needed?

And an edit: I love love love the quick reply box. Basically, well done on the look of the site Dave. The other place literally hurts my eyes now.
    Last edited by JohnnyChance; 06-10-2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Cause edit's rock
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Yeah I have found that after turning 30 this year *gasp* I screw up way more often when typing things out than ever before. I completely miss words, I type the wrong word spelled correctly so I don't pick up on it unless i proofread carefully, and random letters find themselves in the middle of my typing.

I agree with Johnny, at least being able to edit a first post would be nice for certain threads. The only other option is a mod. Dave do you have any more mods other than Ryan and Jim?
    - Sean

I've thought about this editing thing a bit mostly for the vendors being able to change a listing but I'm not loving the idea of allowing posts to be modified after a certain time. I'd prefer to have members PM a mod and have them make a change if necessary, I think this is do-able since the volume would be low I'm sure.

We also have Jay as a mod too. To see the mod list you can click on the "View Site Leaders" button at the bottom of the forum listings page.

Glad to hear that you guys like the set up here. I really got lucky with this software, I just picked it because it was popular.

I think this is the only forum I regularly visit that doesn't allow the OP to edit their own posts (after, I think 15 minutes?).

I often don't notice a typo, missing word, extra word, etc., until I re-read a post a day or two later. It sure would be nice to be able to correct my own mistakes when I catch then - instead of being memorialized as an idiot for all time....

James

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I love love love the quick reply box.
    I do too, but I don't like it when I accidentally hit the "reply to thread" button instead and erases everything in the quick reply.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    I think this is the only forum I regularly visit that doesn't allow the OP to edit their own posts (after, I think 15 minutes?).

I often don't notice a typo, missing word, extra word, etc., until I re-read a post a day or two later. It sure would be nice to be able to correct my own mistakes when I catch then - instead of being memorialized as an idiot for all time....

James

There's all sorts of reasons why someone would edit a post besides grammatical mistakes. If unlimited editing were allowed can you imagine how often posts would be changed? Imagine then the effect of someone reading a post a year later with things missing or moved around. This is a can of worms that's best left unopened. I think 15 min is enough time to re-read a post and make the necessary changes.

Right on, Dave.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I respectfully disagree.

I can't think of a single good reason why the original poster cannot edit their own posts. If it's after a day or two (or 15 minutes), fine - mark it as having been edited.

Much of my work involves writing and, in my experience, if you think you can proof read your own writing immediately upon completion you are seriously deluded. I find it absolutely necessary to put my work product aside for a day or two and then re-read it to find all the typo's, missing words, extra words, that I missed the first dozen times I re-read it. Your mind tends to fill in the blanks. Much of the writing on the internet is dreck because few bother to edit their work.

Future readers are not mindless - but, of course, it's not my site.

James