san mai - first dabbles at kitchen knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John N

Reaction score
Hi, Im a regular lurker on KKF. I enjoy forging, and messing around with steel but make very (very) few knives.

Decided recently to try and finish the odd one so have had a crack at a kitchen knife. Steel is 304 and 316 stainless over a core of O1. Horrible mix to forge, and even worse to grind ! it kept moving every which way.

The grind is a blended convex, tried to keep it thin behind the edge, ground it to about 0.005" before sharpening.

There is some distal taper down the length, TBH I would have put a bit more in if it was a mono steel blade but I didn't forge enough taper in, so would have lost to much of the cladding if id put a more aggressive taper into it !

Sorry for terrible pics - me and phone were having a bad day! Will try and get some better pics at some point, anyhoo, all comments appreciated :D (its not glued up yet, hence the gaps at the bolster)

blade is about 240mm, handle is about 140mm. Seems to cut ok with the polished 2nd'dary bevel I put on it (no stones :O)

Thanks for the nice words!

The blade had a couple of hours etch in hot HCL, the pattern in the stainless 'mascus is a lot more visible to the eye than my phone camera!

Just to clarify, I have made the odd kitchen knife in the past - this is the first one I have actually thought about what Im doing though!

Back