received my K-sabs carbone, now what?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soesje

Reaction score
Today I received my K-Sabatiers carbone (12 inch chef and a filet knife) sent fedex from france.
WOW that is not even 48 hours after I ordered....
But ok.
The 12 inch is still a bit scary (it IS big and I am a female line cook).

I read somewhere that I shoud sharpen these to a narrower edge like rather 15% instead of the usual 20%.
That they are not supposed to be sharp enough right out of the box (if you are in the trade....and a sharp junie to boot).

I usually sharpen with waterstones so I know how to do it but would like opinions.
For taking care of carbone, I already own a blue paper steel aogami gyuto so thats no problem....
Please share your opinions.
I remember also a blog about sabatiers but cannot find it back for the life of it.....someone who was a former chef.
Forgot his screen name......he knows all about sabs.

Today I received my K-Sabatiers carbone (12 inch chef and a filet knife) sent fedex from france.
WOW that is not even 48 hours after I ordered....
But ok.
The 12 inch is still a bit scary (it IS big and I am a female line cook).

I read somewhere that I shoud sharpen these to a narrower edge like rather 15% instead of the usual 20%.
That they are not supposed to be sharp enough right out of the box (if you are in the trade....and a sharp junie to boot).

I usually sharpen with waterstones so I know how to do it but would like opinions.
For taking care of carbone, I already own a blue paper steel aogami gyuto so thats no problem....
Please share your opinions.
I remember also a blog about sabatiers but cannot find it back for the life of it.....someone who was a former chef.
Forgot his screen name......he knows all about sabs.

That would be Boar d Laze and his blog is here: http://www.cookfoodgood.com

I have a full set of Sabatier Nogent carbon steel knives. I have no experience with the K-Sab au carbone series, but I doubt that they are much different in profile and grind. My Sabs definitely benefited for a thinning session and after I sharpened them to about 15 degrees on each side. This is the best compromise for sharpness and edge retention.

I sharpen them on a 1k waterstone followed by newspaper strop.

Good luck!

+1
Congratulations!
I would start with building a relief bevel on both sides at the lowest angle you're comfortable with, ending somewhere with an inclusive 30-35 degree angle. If you're right handed they will benefit from a slight asymmetry in the edge.
There's no reason to stop at 1k. If you have finer stones, you may go up to 3k, and strop and deburr on a 5k or so.

I've omitted an important aspect: incorporate the fingerguard into the relieve bevel. If you don't you will have a protruding heel after a few sharpenings and the blade will no longer touch the board except for a small section.
Anyway, around the heel the blade is much thicker than with its Japanese counterparts and will need much more time.
Please verify whether your blade has the traditional dead flat section from heel almost to the middle.

benuser, that was a bit too much info.
aka, I have never done those things. just learned sharpening beginning this year and have a 800 2000 and 5000 stone.
still so much to learn....
since you're dutch, I invite you to PM me and explain a bit?

Back