Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ridiculous requests

Had a vegan turn down the veg option cause it had dairy and ordered swordfish instead

"Salmon - medium - cooked through".
    "Wagyu - medium - no pink"

Quote Originally Posted by Rtabeek View Post
    "Salmon - medium - cooked through".
    "Wagyu - medium - no pink"
    Steak mid rare, hot in the middle.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

ridiculous requests

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Steak mid rare, hot in the middle.
    Lol w t f do you say to that?

I've come to realize that most people have no clue w t f temp to order steak. They just echo the person next to them, or whatever they heard on tv. I just served it medium and they loved it. Out of the hundreds of hangers I served one year(and hangers are a BI*** to temp for those who don't know), I had one sent back over, and two sent back under. The over was barely, but it was a 12 steak(fully composed, multiple element, and plated from my station) pickup, and I gambled. The two that were under, were effing SPOT ON by the book mid rares I rotated those suckers constantly. The entire line groaned at both viewings of the returned 'under' plates. Soul crushing.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Hi guys.

Just a different perspective here. I am eastern orthodox Christian. And we have some interesting dietary requirements. Ie.

Some times of the year = vegan ( no animal products whatsoever)
    Other times of the year = the above with fish allowed.
    The rest of the year we can eat whatever.

Now some of us me included are not so strict. ( I don't have the time or inclination to bake dairy free bread or whatever). So the rule of thumb is if it's not visible don't worry about it too much. Some ground shrimp in the sauce should be fine.) but big chunks are a no no. So how do I order in a restaurant. Btw I don't agree with the allergy thing either that's too stupid anyway. Not to mention it defeat the purpose of the fast anyway.

I got a lamb, medium no pink today, gotta love customers.

Rami, call a restaurant to make your reso, see if they accomodate vegan's. Some restaurants can be extremely difficult, while some can be very helpful as well, some will just downright tell you no if your vegan or celiac (most tasting places). Having a look at online menus can help you weed out places that you might possibly not want to eat at, if places are meat/seafood centric, they will probably not put together something super great, but if they have alot of vegetarian options you can fare alot better than a salad.

If you tell them you are a vegetarian, you could possibly be getting dairy thrown into your food without knowing it, so don't just go by the menu, let them know you are vegan and you should be great, but just going to a restaurant that has no idea you are coming and asking for a quinoa whatever at 7pm on Friday might get you skewered.

Just make a reservation is my best advice for people with serious dietary needs, and state it with the person on the phone, and just hope they aren't yes manning you into their restaurant, sometimes a person on the phone might ******** you, they are front of the house after all Ya, we got vegan everything! Meanwhile the cooks are overhearing this nonsense on the phone, thinking, can't wait for this table tonight. Have fun, and just to let you know we never mind making something special for a vegan if they call, because honestly when it happens during the rush, we can throw together something pretty damn good and tasty, but with proper notice, you can get yourself something special.

Good advice. I find myself doing that most days anyway. It's only polite.

We got to the point where we ask every reservation if they have any dietary requirements. It helps alot, we have a very limited menu, and have very little produce "lying around" so it can be difficult to put something together on the fly. If we have notice we will do whatever we can to accommodate any dietary needs.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

That almost sounds like common sense, and I am not sure how much of that is still left in the US population. Might get in the way of sueing someone...

Stefan