Quantcast
ridiculous requests - Page 13
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: ridiculous requests

Personally, I find the amount of sauce, dressing, or black pepper to be more a matter of preference and/or taste, rather that a standard ideal that is perfect for everyone. I sometimes get salad dressing on the size so I can control how much I get.

I knew a guy in college who put black pepper on almost everything. And not just a little, like literally at least 10 times what I might have put on. It's going in his mouth, so it's up to him.

Alright... If Thomas Keller or some other well respected chef made you a salad would you tell him to put the dressing on the side or would you just trust that he has far better ability to dress a salad perfectly.

I understand personal preference... I guess sauce on side is just for people who want more control. My original question is answered .... But I will still dislike it

Geo, how often does a chef of Keller's stature dress salads? For example, a few years back I had an experience at Benoit Tokyo was was almost laughable. Pretty sure Ducasse wasn't cooking (or even in the Eastern hemisphere) that night! Once at Grammercy Tavern everything we ordered was way over salted. Even the friggin dessert was salty. Again, I don't believe that Michael Anthony would let that happen on his watch.
    I don't have a problem with an SOS order, and I don't feel bad requesting it myself if I have reservations based on menu wording or server's description.

Now, BS allergy claims, requests to modify menu items to conform to some fad diet, steaks that come back because the mid rare has blood in it... that sh!t makes me crazy.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Yeah I'm sure he would almost never dress salad . Was more of a hypothetical example... A very unrealistic one. I can completely understand if your at a restaurant your not so sure about. But a quality restaurant I'm sure 95 % of the time they dress / sauce pretty darn well. Id rather take the gamble. My main concern is that for me sometimes some dishes really need the sauce on the plate for various aesthetic reasons... Colour contrast etc and without it it looks unfinished which for me feels like I'm sending something out which isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Anyway thanks every1 for shedding some light on the thought behind this choice

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    I can completely understand a sauce on the side if it's a dipping sauce. But then that should be on the side anyway. But salad... I guess if the cook just squirts dressing on top it would be better to do it yourself. However personally I dress / season / toss / taste every single salad I make until it's perfect. So I feel someone wanting the dressing on the side perhaps just wants control/ doesn't trust me ;( . Either way I know how much dressing you need I guess I can understand at lower end joints with less than adequate cooks but why ask for sauce/ dressing on side at a nice restaurant with good cooks who know exactly how to season / dress / sauce because they've done it for that dish one million times and they've got it perfect.

Geo, no doubt you dress appropriately but most go overboard with the dressing, especially on salads. Pisses me off when I order a salad at a decent place and the dressing is drizzled over the middle of the pile. I think most chefs would agree that the dressing should be poured down the sides of the bowl then tossed. Very few servers working for mainstream restaurants get this. Ok rant over
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Jainism is a whole new world of frustration.Only had to deal with it a couple of times-never want to again.On a lighter note according to Wikipedia a Kangetarian is someone who follows a vegetarian diet and eats Kangaroo meat,and it was not April 1st when i read this.
    I dont mind special requests as much anymore as the customer is paying and that what keeps you in a job and thats more important than a bruised ego.I do really dislike the fad diet customers,Coeliac seems to be the big one at the moment.The biggest issue for me is that the more customers you get with pseudo-allergies the less likely the Chefs are to take proper allergies seriously.However the worst is customers who turn up and dont tell you until they are ready to order that they have dietary requests and assume that you will be able to cater to them without any delays and provide them with an individually tailored menu.

A few nights ago someone ordered a chicken soup with no chicken in it...

I had a 80 year old lady come into my kitchen and asked for me by name, she knew everything about me including my health issues. She said if anyone could do her request I could. I laughed. She asked me to make her a rare steak with a hot center and she was dead serious. I told her without hesitating that she came to the right place because, there weren't very many of us chefs who knew the secret to doing that any more. We fiddled in the kitchen and gave here a big show. Flames everywhere, sweaty brows and intense concentration later we presented here with a perfectly seared rare steak with a hot center. She ate it with a look of awe and rapture and deemed it perfect. She loved it so much she came back the next day and brought her friend and they ordered the same thing and left giggling like school girls. I don't think they will be back, she was telling me she wasn't long for this world anymore and just wanted to find someone who could do it for her before she went. I figured as much, we never told her the secret was to hit the Mic for 30 seconds after you mark it. She wouldn't have cared anyway, she just wanted her unicorn . RAre steak with a hot center, the best ridiculous request I ever got.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

will except for that M&M and peanut butter sandwich for a 5 year girl.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I'm gonna open a resturant called Natural Selection that features every known allergen on Earth in the food...and not tell anyone. Oh, what times we'll have!!!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter