Ready-Made Knife Rolls - Input Needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Have a design of a roll down, now need to figure out the size. The thread on Most Essential Knives gave me some ideas, but now I could use an input from a wider audience.

Two questions basically.
- How many knives would be an optimal number for a roll? A roll might have pockets of standard width, that are customized to specific knives with leather or wooden sayas inserts.

- Would you like to see utensils included in a knife roll with the knives, or should I make a separate (smaller) roll for utensils?

Thank you,

Marko

I use a smaller pouch style roll for all my utensils, and stones and bigger stuff in a toolbox... I hate that crap cluttering up my case/rolls.
I wont carry more than 10 or so knives in my larger case, it just gets too bulky and heavy. I tend to carry only a small 5 pouch roll with my most used knives these days...

All of them have leather / wooden sayas or blade guards...

I think your problem lies with people wanting to carry 330mm yanagi's with sayas - and others who don't, finding the space useless and ending up being too bulky...

:2cents:

I use a smaller pouch style roll for all my utensils, and stones and bigger stuff in a toolbox... I hate that crap cluttering up my case/rolls.
I wont carry more than 10 or so knives in my larger case, it just gets too bulky and heavy. I tend to carry only a small 5 pouch roll with my most used knives these days...

All of them have leather / wooden sayas or blade guards...

I think your problem lies with people wanting to carry 330mm yanagi's with sayas - and others who don't, finding the space useless and ending up being too bulky...

:2cents:

Yes, there is no one-size-fits-all roll, so I will offer a custom option.

For standard rolls I will probably do 10 pockets witch custom inserts, so you can use a packet for any type or size. That would imply you order custom inserts (sayas). That is one of the ideas. Another, is to make pockets designated for a specific types - slicer, petty, ets. A little impractical in my opinion.

M

M

Right now I have cut my bag much smaller than I normally do. I usually leave most of my utensils at work nowadays, but have tons of smaller pouches and bags filled with stuff. In my working bag I have 2 gyutos, boning knife, flexible filet, mioroshi, line slicer, paring knife, 160 petty, rod, fish spatula, spoon, peelers, ohya my breadknife is in my utensil pouch for some reason, even though I have atleast 9 free slots for knives if not more. I have a sleeve at work with my meat fork, rubber spatula, palette knives and things like that in it, just to cut down, my bag was probably 35lb fully loaded, so I skimmed some stuff, left some at work, some knives at home and trying to rotate them.

I have a 10 knife bag (tri fold 3/4/3) which I carry right now a 270 gyuto, 270 suji, bread knife, deba, western deba, paring, line knife, nakiri, yanagi, and a sabaki bocho. About half have sayas and some are in saya first, some handle first so that they all fit in there. All my utensils are in another roll and both fit well in my messenger bag. I have a 330 yanagi with saya that wouldn't come close to fitting and a cleaver I couldn't see fitting anywhere either so they just float in my bag when I need to bring em in. It would be nice to have a few more pockets on the opposite of my knife roll so I could put my shorter knives on either side and not have to occupy another slot or even a cleaver slot as well.

Back