Looks great bro, and they get better every time you make another one

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Nice! I bet you're happy as can be.
    Actually I cheated a little bit… had to choose angles very carefully while taking photos, otherwise you could easily spot that the shape isn't even and it's too big for this blade
    Yet my wife seems to like it as is. She grabbed it and didn't allow me to fix shape and make it smaller. So now it rests on magnetic rack.

… the only thing that I REALLY like about this handle is how 2$ Karelian Birch looks after polishing.

And there's another Tanaka knife that I'm trying to rehandle now. This time it's 180mm Nakiri in blue №2. Will try to finish shape tomorrow if I get enough time.

… man, it took me an hour and a half or so to make a hole for tang with small files. And the wood was soft… I wonder how much hours it would took with some dense wood.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    … man, it took me an hour and a half or so to make a hole for tang with small files. And the wood was soft… I wonder how much hours it would took with some dense wood.
    That my friend is the biggest challenge when making wa handles. I'm guessing it's the reason Stefan doesn't mount his own handles (he even sends his personal knives to Dave)

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

[QUOTE=mkriggen;259592]That my friend is the biggest challenge when making wa handles. I'm guessing it's the reason Stefan doesn't mount his own handles (he even sends his personal knives to Dave)

I would probably also ask Dave to mount handles for me if it wasn't the other half of globe

Btw Mikey, are the any galleries with your handles?

How do you guys make it octagonal?

Anyone care to explain in detail the whole process I have been thinking of trying this for a few knives around the house for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    How do you guys make it octagonal?

Anyone care to explain in detail the whole process I have been thinking of trying this for a few knives around the house for fun.
    Have a look at the following thread http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...IP-(PIC-HEAVY)

Only one month has passed since I made my first handle, but it feels like a very very long ago. So finally I convinced wife to allow me tweak that first handle a little bit. While most of guys here thin their blades, I thinned handle

Now it feels some much better in hand. And that shape when it's not squared but a bit of squished starts growing on me. Actually I liked shape so much that finally felt ready to use some really fine Hawaiian Koa from Mark to build a new handle for Konosuke gyuto. Everything looked good until I started making a shape.

When I drilled slot for the tang it was pretty straight… but then I spent a lot of time widening it with needle files and probably wasn't paying enough attention. That was quite an expensive lesson to learn and I'm really sorry for wasting such a nice piece of wood.

That birch is very attractive.

It's hard to tell, but you might be able to fill the hole with epoxy/wood dust. Maybe cut that slice out and replace it with another spacer or just shorten the handle? It looks nice still, I don't think I would scrap it.

If you are going to be making more handles you might consider buying or making a broach. It should help the slot-making process go much faster.

http://www.riversidemachine.net/ecom...le-broach.html

Quote Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
    That birch is very attractive.
    It's hard to tell, but you might be able to fill the hole with epoxy/wood dust. Maybe cut it out and replace it with another spacer or just shorten the handle?
    I was considering the second variant with replacing end of handle with some other wood. But I'm still thinking… I've got about 10 more wooden blocks (mostly Karelian Birch), but none of them seems to fit here :-\

Quote Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
    If you are going to be making more handles you might consider buying or making a broach. It should help the slot-making process go much faster.
    http://www.riversidemachine.net/ecom...le-broach.html
    I have ran out of unrehandled knifes, but the remaining wood blocks demand being turned into handles So I'll keep practicing.
    It's hard to tell from the pictures and I don't really understand how those broaches works. Currently I'm using a small file and a small fretsaw blade that I shaped to my needs:

Does those broaches works differently from fretsaw blade I'm using?

Haven't read bac through all the posts, but do you drill them before of after gluing pieces together? Much easier to first drill all pieces and then glue them. More care needed to line them up but less work with getting the slot right. It can be a bit fiddly and tedious to get the perfect fit, especially with hard woods. As Mike said, I prefer to delegate this to Dave because he has more patience than I have... Also, because I am a slouch and have a hard time sending stuff back within reasonable time frames. Ask some people who sent me stuff months ago.... But I'll get to it eventually, next year...

Stefan