Buying my first Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 28 and love to cook. However, my knife skills were lacking and my knives are even worse. Lately I've decided to get serious about it and I want to purchase my first Gyuto. I also intend to learn to sharpen with whetstones. I have a budget of about $300 tops for the knife.

When I was first looking for a new knife I got trapped by the prettiness of Shun knives and saw a Shun Fuji 6" on clearance for $199. But, I decided that 6" was too short and I feel that the Shuns are overpriced. I don't really need a pretty knife either. I just want something that performs and is finely crafted. If it looks nice too that is just a bonus. I was thinking about just starting with a Tojiro DP but, I feel like I want to invest in something nicer (I've read that the Tojiro is a great knife for the money). However, I don't know what would be the perfect knife for me is. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Carbon or stainless? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Konosuke HD 240 gyuto or a Masamoto KS 240 gyuto

If there are any HHH prebuy gyutos left you should get one of those they are almost definitely going to be amazing. Look in the vendor section and send him a message about it once you get enough posts to private message (10 posts i think).

Also there is a list of questions that you can answer that will help us get you the best knife for you. Here it is

And finally do you have stones yet because you should definitely learn to sharpen on a beater knife before you try on a very nice knife.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the suggestions! The HHH seems pretty intriguing. I don't really know anything about the AEB-L steel though. How does it compare to say VG10? I ordered a 1000/6000 grit stone with a diamond flatner and guides for 10-15 degrees. I plan on using my old crap knives to practice. I am a perfectionist so, I'm sure with practice I'll get good.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef/Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

8-9"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Not sure

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

At Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Prepping vegetables, herbs, slicing and trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Kohls brand Santoku, don't laugh ; )

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push-cut, rocking, slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Sharpness, performance, balance, fit and finish, overall quality

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

I need something that will carry me through beginner to expert knife skills

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

No less than once a month

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

I use a hinoki cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

I'm going to learn to sharpen by whetstones. Practice on bad knives first

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
" "

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

No

AEB-L stomps VG10 with edge retention and quality. Also, I have heard nothing but good things about HHH although never had one. I like to push people towards Takeda knives. Look out for a used 240 on BST or post a wanted ad for one. One of the easiest knives to sharpen to a wicked edge and holds it super long. It is slightly reactive, but that will teach you to give a damn and take care of your knife. :2cents:

All good suggestions above! I would love to give the HHH a try.
I would check this one out if you're OK with carbon:
http://sharpandshinyshop.com/collections/knives/products/konosuke-fujiyama-240mm-white-2-gyuto
I got this one and I must say I was quite blown away by it's performance. The edge retention; the white 2 might not be better than other steels, but as a home cook I don't feel that it's a problem. And also, it's a breeze to sharpen. Give it a strop or two on you 6k stone and it will be good to go and last you long enough.
If you're interested, send Tom an email and he will help you out with any questions! You won't regret it. Until you realize you want more...

Welcome Mountainman.A Gesshin Ginga is within your price range & is an excellent Stainlss knife.JKI also has good vids to hone your sharpening skills.:)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm glad I found you guys and this forum. It seems like there are a lot of good choices. I actually talked to Randy from HHH a little bit about the pre buy. It sounds like a awesome knife. I'm really tempted to go for it! But, I also really like the idea of going with a Carbon. However, being pretty new to knives I'm a little intimidated by the maintenance and my sharping skills need a lot of work. I actually received a Tojiro DP in the mail yesterday. I figured it would be a great starter knife and I can work on my whetstone skills with it until I decide on a nicer knife.

sakai yusuke240, gesshin ginga240, konosuke hd 240, hattori fh 240, or the pre buy HHH aeb-l 240, great deal, Ive already ordered one.

Back