Decision on Gyuto (UK buyer)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocha

Reaction score
I'm looking for a thinnish/laser Gyuto knife in the 240-270mm range. Ideally Japanese handled and semi-stainless, but also considering carbon. I've been using a JCK CarbonNext Gyuto 210 and Torju DP petty for the past couple of years. Love the CN, but looking for something longer. Less in love with the stainless Torju DP.

I'm in the UK so ideally I'd like to find something through JCK or a European store as am concerned about import taxes/customs etc when buying from the US. However that might be restricting my choice to much so open to US options.

Considering a Konosuke HD2 or Masomoto KS. JCK are out of stock of the Masomoto KS but probably would have gone with that otherwise. Any other suggestions along the same lines up to $750?

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese preferably

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in?
240-270

Do you require a stainless knife?
No. I'm happy looking after semi-stainless and would be interested in giving carbon a go too.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$750

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for
Slicing/Chopping Veg

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
JCK CarbonNext Gyuto 210

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Finger point

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
Upgrade from 210 to a 240/270. One problem I've had with the CN is that it sticks to potatoes like glue

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Wood chopping board

Do you sharpen your own knives?
Yes, naniwa chosera 800, 2k & 5k

Thanks!

Neither the Konosuke nor the Masamoto are going to solve the "stiction" issues that your CarboNext has. For that, you need a knife with a good degree of convexity.

Have you considered a Kato (Yoshiaki Fujiwara) from Maksim? I tested several knives for stiction, and it was one of the top performers. It is not a "laser" by any definition, but it is an excellent cutter, deserving of its reputation.

Food Release Videos
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/13910-Food-Release-Videos?p=233242#post233242

Yoshiaki Fujiwara 240 at JNS
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/yoshiaki-fujiwara-240mm-gyuto-1/

Oh, yes, welcome to KKF!

Since you're looking for a narrow profile (KS, HD) from your description, I thought I'd mention that I am selling a Fujiwara Teruyasu in white #1 which may fit the bill - (it's in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum) - PM me if you are interested. I'm in the UK.

Neither the Konosuke nor the Masamoto are going to solve the "stiction" issues that your CarboNext has. For that, you need a knife with a good degree of convexity.

Have you considered a Kato (Yoshiaki Fujiwara) from Maksim? I tested several knives for stiction, and it was one of the top performers. It is not a "laser" by any definition, but it is an excellent cutter, deserving of its reputation.

Food Release Videos
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/13910-Food-Release-Videos?p=233242#post233242

Yoshiaki Fujiwara 240 at JNS
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/yoshiaki-fujiwara-240mm-gyuto-1/

Oh, yes, welcome to KKF!

Thanks for the Welcome! The food release videos were very helpful. I think I might have to try a few different knives to work out what it is I want. How to explain this to my wife I wonder :biggrin:

Since you're looking for a narrow profile (KS, HD) from your description, I thought I'd mention that I am selling a Fujiwara Teruyasu in white #1 which may fit the bill - (it's in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum) - PM me if you are interested. I'm in the UK.

Looks interesting. I'll send you a PM.

Back