Bob Kramer owners: how do compare?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanb

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I bought a Kramer 9" chef's knive in 52100 a few years ago. Since then I've continued to add to my collection but nothing comes close to the Kramer except maybe the Zwilling Kramer. Just wondering how you other Kramer owners feel.

You should follow your own advice

I'd like to see a comparison between Kramer and Devin, Marko T and Mario

Honestly I don't see how Kramer could be that much better other than cost and sentimental value.

I'd like to see a comparison between Kramer and Devin, Marko T and Mario

Honestly I don't see how Kramer could be that much better other than cost and sentimental value.

I think those are 4 odd knives to compare. I have never owned a Marko but I got to use one for about a week. I have owned the other 3. I think the way you have them listed match my preference in which knives I liked. Kramer, devin, Marko, Mario.

Obviously at the current price of a Kramer, it is more then just performance. Yes, it's not 5-20x better then the other knives. I wouldn't even say it was 4-5x better than my Burke or raders.

All that said, I really enjoyed my Kramer a lot.

-Chuck

I disagree. I love my Kramer but I do not think it is any Betty then my Burkes or Raders. I think there are several makers out there who are as talented. I think Bob just know how to market. That is not to say that Kramers aren't great knives. They are also probably the most unique but there is a lot of money in a good brand.

Not in a million years--even if I were a millionaire--would I pay the prices being paid for an original Kramer. I would rather pay $1000 for a custom knife that is exactly to my specifications and donate the other $6000 to charity.

However, I am itching to try one of the Zwilling Kramer 10" chef's. Maybe in the future.

I didn't pay 6k and I have a 10 in carbon refinished by Bob. I was also offered a 8 in damascus for 5 k last month.

I'm not a pro but I like my zwilling Kramer in 52100 - but only for cutting certain things. When I use it it feels a lot like I am using one of my nakaris to me - only it has a point which makes it a bit odd but ueful - I suppose.

It doesn't feel the same in my hand as my Devin ITK or Tanaka SG2 which I prefer for general use

So although it is a really interesting geometry and sharpens really sharp, I prefer my devin itk in aeb-l and tanaka sg2 ironwood for general use...

I think the zwilling Kramer in 52100 comes pretty close to a custom Kramer, I had one of the pro's here (who wants to remain anonymous) do a re-grind with my old custom Kramer as a reference. Once thinned and convex the zwilling is95% there. That sad I'd give up a Kramer before a Burke... Wait I did.

I was wondering if that could be done. Anybody know of someone who could perform a re- grind like that on a ZK?

I loved my "Salty Custom Kramer".....One of the best cutters I have ever used....If you can justify $150 an inch for 52100...Get it!!!

I loved my "Salty Custom Kramer".....One of the best cutters I have ever used....If you can justify $150 an inch for 52100...Get it!!!

Mario, that's highly regarded coming from you.

I would love to try one I just haven't had the chance yet. But having used Mario's knives if he says one of the best cutters that's saying a lot.

Still for that price I'd go for Mario, Devin, Marko, Mike D etc

I'm surprised willc is not part of this convo. I have never gotten a chance to use one of his blades but I would imagine that he is up there as well.

I was wondering if that could be done. Anybody know of someone who could perform a re- grind like that on a ZK?
I think any maker skilled with a grinder would be able to do it. Think of it this way, Kramers custom's are not forged to shape like Bill's or Michael's knives. Bob stamps out blanks grinders them 1st threw a series of jig's then forehands to finish. So if you look at it as a zwilling is a stamped Kramer blank (and they are thick enough compared one) the maker just needs to grind a convex knife from that "blank". The PITA part is most makers would do this before a knife is heat treated, so it takes a lot more time. The big differences will be in the heat treating, Bobs Secret recipe of salt baths will certainly make a difference in the finished knife. The next step to getting a almost Kramer clone would be to have someone take the handle off, re-grind it and the re-heat treat it. All the makers out there with this type of skill that I know of would have little to no interest and being associated with "making Kramer clones", it's matter of respect, both self-respect for one's own work and respect for a colleagues (Bob's) work.
As I sad I had it done but was able only to do so because 1. My reason for doing so was to see how close a zwilling is and could be to a custom, kind of scholarly study. I wasn't just trying to get a "cheep Kramer"
2nd I know and have a good enough relationship with the maker that he or she trusted me not to blab it out "look what x made it's just like a Kramer"

Dean,

I don't view it as magical, and certainly not light years ahead of some of the big name makers I have. There is so much butthurt in these threads because so many people cannot afford one, and neither could I with the current prices. It's like some people don't understand the concept of supply/demand. The great news is there are lots of more affordable and similar options on the market today.

Best cutter in my line-up? Hard to tell, but certainly holds sentimental value to me.

Dean,

I don't view it as magical, and certainly not light years ahead of some of the big name makers I have. There is so much butthurt in these threads because so many people cannot afford one, and neither could I with the current prices. It's like some people don't understand the concept of supply/demand. The great news is there are lots of more affordable and similar options on the market today.

Best cutter in my line-up? Hard to tell, but certainly holds sentimental value to me.

Good post. There is a difference between practical value and perceived (i.e. market) value.

There are so many makers who are on par with Kramer for less money--doesn't make them any worse than a Kramer.

The chances of me coming across a Kramer and taking it home are pretty slim. But I do have a few of the ZK's and Very much like all off them. I think his profile is top notch and it works Very well for me. But they do stick like crazy on the starchy stuff.
I have the tools but just lack the know-how on creating a convex grind. My wish is not to just create a cheap Kramer knock off, shun and Zwilling have already done this. I just want to feel and see how this profile works with a better grind and less sticking I think it would be amazing (obviously)
His taller profile I think lends itself well to taller people like my self. Shorter profiles bring me closer to the board due to reach which kind off stains my back at work. Taller profiles trends to let me stand straight (ish) which is way more comfortable.

The price of a Krammer has nothing to do with it's cutting ability or quality anymore. It's now about reputation and prestige. It is no different than the coin collector or stamp collector paying outrageous prices for those special finds. Or a gun collector paying $3k for that rare .357. The Krammer has become "that piece" for the avid knife collector. Nobody spends $5k on a knife to use to fix supper because it's cuts better than his $2k knife.

The chances of me coming across a Kramer and taking it home are pretty slim. But I do have a few of the ZK's and Very much like all off them. I think his profile is top notch and it works Very well for me. But they do stick like crazy on the starchy stuff.
I have the tools but just lack the know-how on creating a convex grind. My wish is not to just create a cheap Kramer knock off, shun and Zwilling have already done this. I just want to feel and see how this profile works with a better grind and less sticking I think it would be amazing (obviously)
His taller profile I think lends itself well to taller people like my self. Shorter profiles bring me closer to the board due to reach which kind off stains my back at work. Taller profiles trends to let me stand straight (ish) which is way more comfortable.
Maybe a mouse pad and sand paper to just give the blade a slight convex to cut down on the sticking?

One thing that does not come up is "Handmade" blades vary....I have three Carters....two cut OK,and one is fantastic.....I am sure some Kramers cut better then others.

So my plan to riches of rehandling ZK's and re-etching them with the Kramer logo, and selling them on eBay is no good?

Anyone want to buy an Artifex with Mario's logo? $99 special.

On a serious note, although the ZK was ultimately not for me- profile wise, it is a very nice knife. The distal taper is insane, the polish on the choil and spine is sexy, the handle was gorgeous, the steel took a nice edge. Well worth the money. A custom version of this has to be baller. I wish I could handle a western. I did hold Salty's, but I was a bit of a noob back then, and probably didn't appreciate it like I would today.

Back