Quantcast
Forged gyuto.. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forged gyuto..

First of all, thanks for all the replies..you're helping me a lot.
    Another preference i forgot to tell you is the handle..i really prefer a western handle..so, at the end..what i'm looking for is:
    -gyuto (210mm-240mm)
    -carbon steel
    -handmade(forged)
    -western handle
    -no matter the weight..i'm not a professional user
    -of course, high quality.
    -no more than 200 dollars

IF a knife with theese characteristics DO NOT exists, i will buy the Hiromoto AS, or one of the hand forged with japanese handle you mentioned..

You're not going to get a handmade western for that type of money. Most of the small workshops make wa- knives, and there is usually a premium for a western handle (which makes sense really, as it is clearly more work).

If the aspect of being hand-made is essential to you, have a look at the Canadians by K-Sabatier, but don't expect the kind of performance you get with a modern Japanese blade.

http://www.sabatier-k.com/couteaux-d...is25canao.html

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    You're not going to get a handmade western for that type of money. Most of the small workshops make wa- knives, and there is usually a premium for a western handle (which makes sense really, as it is clearly more work).
    +1 I've noticed that handles can be responsible for half or more of a knife's cost.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the notion of a traditionally made Japanese knife without a wa handle just seems wrong. De gustibus non est disputandum!
    Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

+ Reply to Thread