Forged gyuto..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riccardo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Riccardo, and i'm from Italy, so my english is not so good.
I'm looking for a true hand-forged Japanese knives, in particular a high quality gyuto of 210mm-240mm, made of carbon steel. I can spend maximum 200 dollars.
Well, I found theese knives:

-Hiromoto AS http://japanesechefsknife.com/TenmiJyurakuSeries.html#AogamiSuper
-Masamoto HC http://japanesechefsknife.com/HCSeries.html#HCSeries
-Misono Sweden steel http://japanesechefsknife.com/SwedenSteelSeries.html#SwedenSteel
-Takamura R2(don't know if it's a carbon steel) http://www.finejapanesekitchenknives.com/takamura.php

1)Do you know if anyone of theese is a truly hand-forged knifes?
2)Is one of theese better than the others?
3)Could you recommend me other knives of the same category?

Thanks !!

Thanks for the reply!
Are all of the knives i mentioned NOT hand forged?
I saw that the tanaka has only got a core of blue steel..isn't it a "cheaper" construction than the hiromoto's one (for example)? Why this Tanaka is so cheap?

Thanks for the reply!
Are all of the knives i mentioned NOT hand forged?
I saw that the tanaka has only got a core of blue steel..isn't it a "cheaper" construction than the hiromoto's one (for example)? Why this Tanaka is so cheap?

I'm pretty sure that the Masamoto/Misono/Hiromoto are mass produced. The Hiromoto is quite different from the other two as it is san-mai - that is, it has a core of carbon steel clad in stainless steel. The other two are a single piece of high carbon steel.

Look at other makers if you want a hand made piece.

HI
I would say none of these are truly handforged. I would say, that you cannot produce massproduction knives in japan using a hammer and anvil. With knives in that kategorie at least hydraulic hammers are involved...Please proof me wrong if otherwise.
It is very hard to recommend a knife without knowing what you need....But if i had to choose, i would take the Misono. But thats a purely personal preference.

Tanti saluti
B

So, if i correctly understand, it's quite impossible to find a forged knifes in this price range ( up to 200 dollars)..
And if i should buy a forged one..which craftman does forged knife, with an honest price?
I understand from yours replies that both Moritaka and Tanaka are forged..others?
Not considering the factor "forged", wich one of the knife mentioned you consider the best? I'm an home chef, and i'm looking for a realy sharp and re-sharpable carbon gyuto, to use as a meat-fish-vegetables slicer/chopper..of course i'll be happy to own a high quality one!!

Wat about a Wanatabe? These might be slightly over budget though. But very good value for money.

Also, Takeda is my favourite. He has Sasanoha and Gyuto's for fair prices and they're definately hand forged! You can email him for enquiries, he's always very quick to reply!

I'm curious why the obsession with "hand forging"? Power hammers that many smiths use are bloody useful and work well.

I'm curious why the obsession with "hand forging"? Power hammers that many smiths use are bloody useful and work well.
My guess is people actually use 'hand forged' for both powered hammered and hand hammered steel. Hand forged is often used to distinct factory hand hand made knives.

From the knives you mentioned I don't know the Tanaka. Stay away from the Masamoto HC for its perduring inconsistencies in Fit&Finish, bad surprises and high price.
Between the Hiromoto AS and the Misono Swedish Carbon, hard to choose. As said, very different conception. The Hiromoto has by far the better core steel and easier maintenance, the Misono the better F&F. Both a great performers.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Masakage...

Yes of course when i say hand forged i mean "handmade", no matter if the forge has been done by pneumatic hammer or by a normal hammer.
So, between the knives i mentioned in the first post, the best is the Hiromoto AS, altough it is not handmade;
While the handmade are:
-takeda (out of range)
-moritaka( really so fragile)
-masakage( anyone else used them?)

And then i find this Sakai..they say it's hand made..
seems interesting..do you know it? http://www.chuboknives.com/products...yer-damascus-wa-gyutou-210mm-8-3#.UoZ3B2i9Kc1

I own a blade from that line branded as 'Yaxell'. Excellent knife, VG10 is good stainless and it's a quite thin blade. Holds a great edge and not hard to touch up.

tanaka blue steel is incredible for the price it is one of the easiest knives to sharpen gets insanely sharp. it has a few minor imperfections such as a rough choil. if you spend a good hour giving it a bit of love then it is easily on par with more expensive knives. honestly i dont know what it is maybe its the heat treat but the are really good knives. tanaka is a great knife maker

First of all, thanks for all the replies..you're helping me a lot.
Another preference i forgot to tell you is the handle..i really prefer a western handle..so, at the end..what i'm looking for is:
-gyuto (210mm-240mm)
-carbon steel
-handmade(forged)
-western handle
-no matter the weight..i'm not a professional user
-of course, high quality.
-no more than 200 dollars

IF a knife with theese characteristics DO NOT exists, i will buy the Hiromoto AS, or one of the hand forged with japanese handle you mentioned..:biggrin:

You're not going to get a handmade western for that type of money. Most of the small workshops make wa- knives, and there is usually a premium for a western handle (which makes sense really, as it is clearly more work).

You're not going to get a handmade western for that type of money. Most of the small workshops make wa- knives, and there is usually a premium for a western handle (which makes sense really, as it is clearly more work).

+1 :groucho: I've noticed that handles can be responsible for half or more of a knife's cost.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the notion of a traditionally made Japanese knife without a wa handle just seems wrong. De gustibus non est disputandum!

Back