Quantcast
i'm gonna try to cut refined sugar from my diet..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i'm gonna try to cut refined sugar from my diet..

i'm gonna try to cut refined sugar from my diet..

my entire family is diabetic. mom. grandparents.

i gotta watch it. i have a sweet tooth. big time sugar addict. i am gonna cut it out. my blood sugar is fine, but i have to admit, it did creep up.

i want to cut out "blatant refined sugar"..so no candy, pie, cakes, ice cream, etc

sugar is not avoidable..like it is in my favorite Korean BBQ. i know it is in some foods.

i dont eat alot of bread. being chinese, i do eat rice. anyone NOT eating sugar? or cutting it out? the other night, double fisted OREO cookies. haha. not good.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It's tough. Prob. one of the hardest things you can do. When the sweet tooth kicks in I grab the celery, it helps a little.
    Chewie's the man.

It is very hard! My wife is a nutritionist specializing with a particular interest in helping people with sugar. It is a drug. I've given up on total quitting, end result is better than when I started. My advice would be not getting too hooked on banishing it rather baby steps! But as I said, it is a very addictive drug that our body is hard wired to tell us more more more. Good luck!

I have been working really hard on replacing refined sugars with other sources - mainly honey where at all possible. I do not have a big sweet tooth, but do enjoy an occasional cookie or ice cream. My dad had to completely cut out sugar as part of his cancer fighting regimen earlier this year. Some Stevia was allowed but no refined sugar.

Agave syrup is good replacement for cooking too.

damn..like a drug?

oh-o. okay, baby steps. just figured out i was lactose intolerant..so cutting out icecream turned out easy. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    It's tough. Prob. one of the hardest things you can do. When the sweet tooth kicks in I grab the celery, it helps a little.
    damn. celery. thanks for the tip. grim, huh?

The best defence against refined sugars is preparing meals from scratch using ingredients in or as close to their raw form as possible. Read labels and avoid fast food. Remember that eating anything containing HFCS is the same as eating refined sugars. Avoid substitutes like Agave mentioned above. While Agave may be lower on the glycemic index it is still a very simple carb. Agave (which is a refined sweetener) and other sugar substitutes are pushed using slick marketing to make us believe that there is some health benefit to using them vs sugar but there is no real difference. Honey, corn syrup, etc. They are all basically the same. People are often shocked to learn that Agave contains about 50% more calories than sugar.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    I would say baby steps...its what I have been doing after trying cold turkey multiple times. Honey is awesome, and I buy regional honey everywhere I go. Its almost like wine with all of its different nuances...but I dont know how healthy it is for you really. I have diabetes on both sides of the family, and being a professional chef and rarely making time to sit down and eat a meal I run on things like cookies, cakes, bread, etc. Luckily for me havent been drinking sodas for the past 5 years or so...I mean here and there, but that was the first thing I cut. Unfortunately when I have coffee its more like sugar and coffee. Cook from scratch, dont eat canned foods, etc. Chocolate is expensive but my wife and I crave it a lot so we end up buying shiffy Hersheys chocolates and they keep me up all night and help me sharpen my knives and read KKF. You are encouraging me to try and cut back more. Youre not alone. Good luck man.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

yea. i cook 90% of my food from scratch. there are no canned foods in my home unless i canned them. (not counting my earthquake kit which is alot of canned stuff)

thanks for the wonderful insights..i appreciated it greatly. makes it easier that i hear i am not a mutant sugar fiend. i am not alone.

thanks. glad i dont smoke or do smoke-less tabacco..and i dont really drink anymore.

i think i can do this. i am gonna try to make a piece of fruit my sweet treat. gag..ha.

+ Reply to Thread