Hello All!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stopbarking

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new knife addict. Unfortunately, my new addiction and my bank account don't really get along.

I'm currently a sous chef for a corporate dining facility for State Farm in Austin, Texas. We do about 600-800 people a day but the food is a little boring. I've been here for too long and due to a recent management company change am in the midst of looking for a more exciting job. In my short years cooking I've done fine dining, country club, cafeteria, and catering work.

Started with a culinary school Messermeister set, but quickly realized it was not accomplishing what I wanted it to accomplish. Moved on to a Global 8" and have since realized the error of my ways. I first purchased a Misono UX-10 Gyuto 240 but it was stolen at work. Moved on to a Hattori FH 240 and like it a little better in my hands. I also have a Togiharu 165 Nakiri and am surprised at how well it performs. It will hold an edge that rivals my Hattori and I use them about equally. I quickly realized my 1000/6000 stone was not cutting it and purchased an Edge Pro with the Chosera stone addition. Now my knives are unstoppable.

Future short term plans include a Honesuki and a Wa-Deba for my first Japanese handled blade as well as a job that will require the constant use of both. I'm pretty proficient with both but haven't had a job requiring them since my voyage to the sharp side.

Love this forum so far. It's my favorite for expert advice for noob expert sharpeners. I hope it will lead me to the path of deburring and stropping equipment. Also researching microbevels extensively before I do my first.

I'm the kind of guy that has no money to spare so I do at least 6 months of research before I decide to buy a new blade or equipment for them.

As a relatively long time lurker I's like to thank all of you for the expert advice you did not know you were giving.

Happy Cutting!

Welcome!

Unfortunately, my new addiction and my bank account don't really get along.

Uh oh, sounds like you're starting off in the deep end! We all pretty much suffer from that same malady :whistling:

Back