Belly up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantumcloud509

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for input whom I could talk to about resharpening a knife I just purchased. It showed up with no belly..ie whoever was sharpening it before sharpened the belly out of it. When you put the cutting edge on a flat surface it looks like a bridge.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384542216.160416.jpg you see...it has a base point one inch in from the back and a couple inches in from the front. Feels really weird when cutting things.

Send it to Michael Rader. He's close to you.

wow some would call those holes. But I think with just a little more time on the stones it will be fine. Gl looking for someone to fix it. I myself would take a go at it.

Just use a "rock chop" cutting motion on a diamond plate until everything is even. Thin, then put an edge on it. Easy peasy.

You could also send to David Lisch in seattle if michael is not available. Although you could do it on the stones, it would be easy to do it on a belt grinder.

If you would rather send it out, send it to Jon. He does these types of jobs all the time. I'm sure the turnaround will be faster as he won't be sneaking it in between custom orders. And he will do as good as a job as anyone, and better than most.

A side walk or cement step and a couple packs of automotive sandpaper will work just as well or better than a diamond plate.
Use the method JohnnyC described to fix the profile and then the sandpaper over a mouse pad to thin and convex most of the way. Lastly, use your stones just as you normally would thin bte and do the final sharpening.

Its not that difficult, you stand to learn and grow your confidence and all you risk is some time and a few bucks.
If you get frustrated and give up, its not going to be any worse than when you started.

You should write one of those inspirational books on cd with ambient music playing in the background Justin :D

I dont have a belt grinder either :(

I own a belt grinder adn if I have to do it either on a stone or sand paper,
1) I would do it with either a 200 or 400 grit stone if I expect fast results.

2) Top priority is to shape it the way I want with a scraping motion say at least 60 degrees. Check regularly. A sweepingt motion wld be required for the curve I suppose.

3) do bear in mind that the front portion is thinner than towards the rear and pressure has to be adjusted..

4) once it it has been shaped, I wld thin the edge with stone to the knife abrading. Any strokes that will remove metal. Wld do this with the appropriate grit depending on how much steel needs to be removed .

5) the sharpening process now begins...

5) Then the regular sharpening method.

IF no courser stones.. even on a 1000 grit stone.. eventualy you will shape it say within a week with a few minutes each time. Exert pressure.. LEan on it ( if necessary, )but not too much. for example.. regular pressure is level 5, just the weight of knife + hand is level 1.. For serious removal.. say level 10.

IF no further improvement or you give up.. then send it out to teh pro... AT the very least... it sort of build up your experience in shaping the new profile..

Have fun adn a nice week-end..

RGds
d

Using a sharpie to draw on the desired new profile and color in all the steel that needs to be removed also takes a lot of the guess work out of things. That way you dont need to worry about overgrinding while you work. Once all the sharpied steel is gone you can check where you're at and fine-tune from there.

Back