Looking for japanese sujihiki / slicer knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usermot

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a new member of this forum and will very appriciate your help and advices.

I am a home cook and considering to add the sujihiki / slicer knife to my home kitchen knife set.

There are two candidates currently in my list: Hattori FH-12(230mm)/13(270mm) sujihiki and Masamoto KS 240mm slicer.

The knife will be not used very often (Hattori FH 240mm Gyuto is my general use knife). I am planing to use this knife mainly for special purposes: sushi preparation, salmon european style slicing and meat cutting / slicing. The meat and fish pieces about 1-2.5 kg.

I have a few questions before I made my decision:

- Are there any advantages of White 2 steel over VG10 in matter of edge retention and sharpening?

- My another question is about a knife size. What is the prefer size for sujihiki / slicer for purposes described above?

- Is there any advantage of slicer / sujihiki for my needs described above over Hattori FH Gyuto 240mm, that is relatively narrow?

Perhaps someone has experience with both this knives and can compare one to another. It will be very helpful information and I'll appreciate it.

I would also be glad if you have suggestions of other worthwhile suji knives in the same price range.

Thanks in advance,

Roman

- Are there any advantages of White 2 steel over VG10 in matter of edge retention and sharpening?

White 2 will be easier to sharpen then VG10, but it is not known for its edge retention. The big thing will be carbon vs stainless.

- My another question is about a knife size. What is the prefer size for sujihiki / slicer for purposes described above?

IMO 270mm is the ideal size for a home use slicking knife. The Masamoto KS is available in 270mm via special order, I own one.

Thank you very much for your answer bkultra.

What is the difference between carbon and stainless except edge retention, sharpening speed and additional care please?

Thank you very much for your answer bkultra.

What is the difference between carbon and stainless except edge retention, sharpening speed and additional care please?

Those are the main differences, without going into metallurgy.

270-300 is a good size IMO

Thanks for the answer!

So haw I can to summarise:

- Sharpening better with White 2 steel + 1 to Masamoto

- No additional care with stainless steel + 1 to Hattori

- Edge retention on the same level of VG10 and White 2

The score is: 1:1 :)

Are there any blade profile advantages between this knives?

The most important here is the handle and overall feel and weight imo. I own and use the KS every day. Its light as a feather, and the handle is wonderful! But if you prefer more weight and western handles, then you should go with the Hattori for sure. Like other people were saying, you should also consider going up to 270mm, and then the Hattori is available in stock, and the Masamoto is special order and 3 months + waiting time. (But i would just go with the 240 ks. Its my fav knife hands down of every one i own. I have not tested the Hattori though.)

I am looking for a slicing knife as well either Suji or A honyaki yanigba preferably USED to bring down the price

Chutotoro, thanks a lot for your advice.

You all have a very strong arguments and I think I'll go with 270mm suji :)

I like the Hattori's handle and feel of my Gyuto. Never tried the KF suji but it is a little bit lighter (45 gram difference between 270mm suji(191g) and 240mm gyuto(236g)).

Not sure I'll wait 3 month for KS 270mm. And also I am not sure I want to have deal with additional care for White 2.
After you explained me the differences between VG-10 and White 2, I don't see significant advantages of White 2 over VG-10 for my needs.

I received recommendation for Konosuke HD suji as well. The knife is terrifically light! 270mm suji just 96 gram!! And it is also semi-stainsteel. That means less care for the knife.
But nothing can beat the Koki's service, fast and cheap shipping :)

Roman

Last edited:
I had a fh 270 sujihiki and I loved it . I am a big guy with big hands and the handle was little bit small for me but if I saw one in BST I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again in heartbeat . Lot of people will disregard vg10 but what hattori does with it sets him apart from other makers. I think it may be the best vg10 in the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the FH. I just scooped one up from Pensacola Tiger last week and it performs like a champ. The black linen scales are nice.

The Hattori and Massamoto are very nice knives. You can't go wrong with either. The Massamoto easily takes a very keen edge. The Hattori gets very sharp, with little effort. The Massamoto seems to get a little sharper, but the Hattori is no slouch. The Massamoto is light and agile. The Hattori has a little more heft. From what I've seen of the Hattori line, the knifes are nice compromise between thin lasers, and thicker work horses. The handle on the Hattori is one of the best on a production knife.

If you are only going to buy one Suji. I'd go with the Hattori. I use mine to cut up a lot of fruit, so I appreciate it being stainless. A good handle makes a knife all that more functional, and the Hattori has one of the best.

Good luck with you decision.

Jay

Thanks jaybett!

Looks like Hattori FH 270mm is good option for me :)

Thanks a lot to All of you for your advices!

Just put an order for Hattori FH-13 270mm. Believe it will be great addition to my Hattori FH knife set.

Enjoy your cooking :)

Roman

Back