Longest knife in Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
Right now on Iron Chef Japan there is a battle tuna going on and the challenger has what is being called the biggest cooking knife in Japan. It looks like about 14 inches long or so, but it is a deba! The thing is huge! And really shinny!

Wait until he whips out the yanagi...I think his yanagi would be the size of a decent katana

It's out!! And it looks rather sharp! It slides through that tuna like it's hot butta!

Just joking! Portland Oregon. On the cooking channel on Comcast.

I found it on youtube, indeed the challenger whipped out some pretty big knives.

Isn't there a special tuna "knife" that is basically a sword that is up to 60" long and handled by two people designed to cut a whole tuna in half in one stroke?

Isn't there a special tuna "knife" that is basically a sword that is up to 60" long and handled by two people designed to cut a whole tuna in half in one stroke?

Yep. Maguro kiri.

Not really used by chefs though (unless you are Niloc, but he isn't in Japan), only really used by fishmongers.

I think this which I found at Yoshikane Hamono workshop is a bit longer:

120cm.jpg

Bringing a Katana into a workshop doesn't count Dr Naka.

Bringing a Katana into a workshop doesn't count Dr Naka.

It is not a katana. It is a kitchen knife. I think you can see that it has a choil.
If it does not have a choil it would be a weapon and you will be arrested in Japan.

I'd just mod my swords to all have choils, and carry two of them across my back ;)

God damn, I would be dressed as a samurai if I had to carry that to work every day :)

What you guys forgot Butch's tuna sword so quickly?

Butch should take no offense :) as the title of this thread is, "Longest knife in Japan."

What's offensive is that people seem amazed, not the Japan part. If people had said, "Wow, that's as big as Butch's blade!" I wouldn't have noticed.

They did say longest knife used by a chef in Japan, I believe... he's using a 300mm Deba and at least a 390mm Yanagi like they're nothing... it's pretty impressive.

yep I was thinking 390mm and thats crazy long I would think in a kitchen
tho small at a fish market
I'm not upset as I might have the bbest in the US right now

Back