330mm Suji - an Overkill?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me to use? Probably. To look at and swing around? NAHHHHH!!!
But I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who would love it

I would use one, that would be the biggest size I would use for a slicer. It would probably be more like a Ferrari, where I only bring it out on special occasions or when I just feel like playing.

A 330 Marco suji? Uh...sweet!:pirate1:

Be well,
Mikey

I have a piece of AEB-L long enough for 330mm suji. If I make a shorter knife, I would waste a section.
This would be the longest suji I ever made.

M

The longest suji I have made was 300mm and I think I make it 39mm tall. With extra 30mm should I go a little taller or keep it around 39mm?

Extra height would make the length feel less whippy, the only 330 I've used was 42 at the heel and it didn't feel too high.

I've owned 300mm sujis. I've never thought they were too long, but I also don't think that adding a bit even to that would be bad, as long as the blades were stiff. The 300mm one I last owned, a Konosuke, was something like 44mm at the heel, if I remember correctly. That was a pretty usable knife for a variety of tasks, just too floppy.

Cool, thanks Jacob -

I am going to grind this one pretty stiff on the spine.

a little extra height never hurts. i actually look for 300-330mm sujis and there arent many. with the stuff i do at work i use a vintage 300mm stainless now and vouch i will only use stainless when it comes down to a big suji

I have 2 300 sujis (martell and fowler) and love both. I have a 330 yanagi and do appreciate the length though it doesn't come to work with me everyday. A little height is nice like my martell and it's preferable that it's stiff imo.

This one is not going to be overly tall - 40mm. By the time I settled on a profile, all it was left was 40mm.

I'd say 40mm would be about the minimum for a suji of that length. I'm currently alternating between a Martell and a Catcheside (300 & 305mm) and sometimes wish for a bit more length. My only suggestion would be to keep the nose down and profile kind of flat. On a 330, you'd have to raise the handle a lot for the front 3rd to make board contact if the profile had much curve..

I'd say 40mm would be about the minimum for a suji of that length. I'm currently alternating between a Martell and a Catcheside (300 & 305mm) and sometimes wish for a bit more length. My only suggestion would be to keep the nose down and profile kind of flat. On a 330, you'd have to raise the handle a lot for the front 3rd to make board contact if the profile had much curve..

Would it make sense to offset the handle a little bit, so you don't have to raise the handle a lot? I am a little concerned about flattening the profile on this lengh a suji.

M

I don't think you'd have to flatten it that much (or at all) if the tip was at or near the longitudinal centerline. I think that would extend the flat part of the edge automatically or make the arc of the blade less pronounced, depending on how far back it starts. I'm not talking takobiki dead flat, or a full on wharncliffe nose. Does this sort of make sense, or am I way off the mark?

I am going to take a pic of the profile and have you chime on it. The profile I made is a typical profile seen on shorter sujis.

Skip the 330 and go straight to a 360, just make sure its got some backbone for slicing up those steamboat roasts..... Seriously.

well we hear a lot about 3xx sizes (granted most are 300 and 330's) but I think if you got to a 400, then you have a whole new segment of beastly, it starts with one number bigger after all :)

Skip the 330 and go straight to a 360, just make sure its got some backbone for slicing up those steamboat roasts..... Seriously.

:plus1:

If you're going over 300, might as well go a full level over

Back