Quantcast
330mm Suji - an Overkill? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 330mm Suji - an Overkill?

I've owned 300mm sujis. I've never thought they were too long, but I also don't think that adding a bit even to that would be bad, as long as the blades were stiff. The 300mm one I last owned, a Konosuke, was something like 44mm at the heel, if I remember correctly. That was a pretty usable knife for a variety of tasks, just too floppy.

Cool, thanks Jacob -

I am going to grind this one pretty stiff on the spine.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Should be nice, and easier than most to sharpen.

a little extra height never hurts. i actually look for 300-330mm sujis and there arent many. with the stuff i do at work i use a vintage 300mm stainless now and vouch i will only use stainless when it comes down to a big suji

I have 2 300 sujis (martell and fowler) and love both. I have a 330 yanagi and do appreciate the length though it doesn't come to work with me everyday. A little height is nice like my martell and it's preferable that it's stiff imo.

This one is not going to be overly tall - 40mm. By the time I settled on a profile, all it was left was 40mm.

I'd say 40mm would be about the minimum for a suji of that length. I'm currently alternating between a Martell and a Catcheside (300 & 305mm) and sometimes wish for a bit more length. My only suggestion would be to keep the nose down and profile kind of flat. On a 330, you'd have to raise the handle a lot for the front 3rd to make board contact if the profile had much curve..
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Well, will see how this turn out. I can always make it shorter.

M

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I'd say 40mm would be about the minimum for a suji of that length. I'm currently alternating between a Martell and a Catcheside (300 & 305mm) and sometimes wish for a bit more length. My only suggestion would be to keep the nose down and profile kind of flat. On a 330, you'd have to raise the handle a lot for the front 3rd to make board contact if the profile had much curve..
    Would it make sense to offset the handle a little bit, so you don't have to raise the handle a lot? I am a little concerned about flattening the profile on this lengh a suji.

M

I don't think you'd have to flatten it that much (or at all) if the tip was at or near the longitudinal centerline. I think that would extend the flat part of the edge automatically or make the arc of the blade less pronounced, depending on how far back it starts. I'm not talking takobiki dead flat, or a full on wharncliffe nose. Does this sort of make sense, or am I way off the mark?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread