Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio Equipment Advice Needed

Cool, thank you. Ton of useful information!

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'll agree with split about speakers. However Madisound's website is good. My favorite driver manufactures are Scanspeak (the Revelator line with the cut cone is truly amazing), Seas, and Vifa.

I think the best DVD/CD/ BluRay player made is by http://www.oppodigital.com/ a used one would be fine - they are built really well. Another way to go is http://www.sonos.com/ , I've installed about 100 of these with no complaints, it's easy to operate and sounds pretty good.

If you are buying a sub the SVS are really good subs. I like http://www.triadspeakers.com/ They use the Revelator cones in some of their more expensive products!

sonos

I would stay away from a tuner and CD player and focus on purchasing a quality USB DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and either ripping your CD collection to a computer or using Spotify. No offense Marko, but try to stay away from building speakers. There's a tremendous amount of engineering that goes into their total design and you will get far superior results buying a prebuilt speaker. Now, there are a few kits out there that get good reviews and that would definitely be an option for you since the engineering has already been taken care of.

If you want someone who builds speakers with the same passion and level of perfection that you have with knives, check out http://www.salksound.com . Jim Salk makes some amazing sounding speakers as well as wood cabinets.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    I would stay away from a tuner and CD player and focus on purchasing a quality USB DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and either ripping your CD collection to a computer or using Spotify. No offense Marko, but try to stay away from building speakers. There's a tremendous amount of engineering that goes into their total design and you will get far superior results buying a prebuilt speaker. Now, there are a few kits out there that get good reviews and that would definitely be an option for you since the engineering has already been taken care of.

If you want someone who builds speakers with the same passion and level of perfection that you have with knives, check out http://www.salksound.com . Jim Salk makes some amazing sounding speakers as well as wood cabinets.
    I am with Pete, I wouldn't bother trying to build. I am sure you could get something amazing but it would take a while. Salks are great but they could be out of budget, check out for more budget friendly stuff. Never heard em but they have a good return policy.

Pete do you have salk speakers? If so what model.

Thanks
    Jared

Get a vintage Harman kardon or pioneer receiver that has preamp out. pair of with some old advent or mission speakers. Don't spend too much, keep it simple. The whole point of vintage gear is its unique unrefined but warm sound.

If you insist on a cd player, a low cost option is California audio lab model or a pioneer elite DVD player off eBay. If you want to spend a bit more the original rega planet is quite good and the looks will match your amp.

what do you want to spend? I have a pair of Thiel CS2.4s, and an Audio Aero Capitole MK II SE (with a an Odyssey Stratos SE amplifier and an NuForce AVP-17 pre/pro, and an inexpensive NAD phono pre). Neither of these are vintage (a twiddly knob CD player might be a bit hard to find), but they are all reasonably priced at this point in time, and sound wonderful (assuming the amp can push the Thiels).

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post

One nice thing about the Capitole Mk II is the plethora of digital inputs. I've compared it to my personal Benchmark DAC-1, a Benchmark DAC-2, and things like the Cary-306SACD, and the Cap beats them pretty soundly on 44.1 material, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    One nice thing about the Capitole Mk II is the plethora of digital inputs. I've compared it to my personal Benchmark DAC-1, a Benchmark DAC-2, and things like the Cary-306SACD, and the Cap beats them pretty soundly on 44.1 material, imo.
    Well played on the Odyssey Stratos SE amp, that's what I am currently using along with a Candela tube preamp to drive my Mirage m-3si's.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Marco: what type of music do you most listen to? What is most important to you in terms of performance, bass, voice clarity, soundstage etc? , How many watts is your amp rated for? What is the size of your room? Do you prefer small speakers on stands or floor standing speakers. Do listen at loud volumes ? Etc.