Quantcast
Audio Equipment Advice Needed - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Audio Equipment Advice Needed

NY city has more than a couple hi-fi stores. They will typically be full of high $ stuff, but also carry some smaller/ less expensive stuff. Gives you a chance to hear some different things.

OK, here are the models:
    Pre-Amp Yamaha C-70
    Amp Yamaha M-70

Not the actual pics, but basically similar units
    Name:  in funzione.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  15.2 KB

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Those are nice looking. Should be able to drive Thiel CS2.4s fine.

Haha, Thiel CS2.4s are soo out of my price range. I don't want to turn into audiophile as it would create a serious competition to my tools addiction (and I have a long list of expensive tools to purchase), just want to put together a system and use it. Perhaps even take it to my work gym (yes, I am building one, as I tend to spend so much time at the shop that I might as well have one there now that I have more space).

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

so, we now have a budget. I agree with going to one of the many hifi shops in NYC, and seeing what they have in their trade in bins.

From all reports the guys at Odyssey Audio had one of the best, musical sounding rooms at the recent RMAF. Their complete system (speakers, amps, preamp, cables) could be bought for $6,700, which is a complete bargain compared to a lot of other rooms with hifi, overly analytical, dry sound from systems worth 30k up.

If you're looking to spend a lot less, you could pick up a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers designed by Andrew Jones for $130 at Best Buy (on sale I think you could get them for $90). Very good speaker unless you're interested in doof doof bass. Possibly an even better bargain is the same speaker modified with new tweeter and revised crossover by Dennis on AudioCircle for around $150.

Source is also very important. Given the convenience of computer based audio, a good USB DAC as mentioned earlier is recommended.

didnt realize you already had a matching preamp. creek and nad make good tuners. for speakers, look for old JBLs on craigslist.

I love my PSB towers,but I bought them years ago, prices for the higher end towers have gone up quite a bit.Speakers are a matter of personal taste,take a couple of your favorite CD's to listening rooms of stores that carry Audio.Vary the CD choices to hear how diff. types of music sound.

You have a good pre amp & amp to push the speakers,I have my PSB's hooked up to CD player,DVR,TV.Have a high current Amp.,good wire,It blows away a Bose system.

Building speakers is lots of fun but is less about saving money (which it rarely really does) and more about making something tailored to your own personal tastes and needs. So if you're not looking for a new hobby, I'd stick with factory built.

As for tuner, CD player and such, do you just want something nice, or do you want something that matches esthetically? Some people like to do vintage gear like other sorts of collections, matching pieces in a brand, series, time period or theme. The "period correct" matching tuner for your stack is a Yamaha T-70. (there's one on ebay right now for 40 bucks).

Here's a brochure from the era: http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/c-x0_m-x0_t-x0-b.pdf

We didn't have CD or MP3 players back then, but many manufacturers made gear in the "SAE black stack style" over the years so it should be easy to find similar looking pieces. (well, maybe not an MP3 player).