Quantcast
Shiny rock that isn't a diamond
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shiny rock that isn't a diamond

Shiny rock that isn't a diamond

Sometime in the near future I'll be proposing to my girlfriend. I don't want to go the diamond route and my knowledge of gemstones is non-existent. Thoughts?

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Moissanite
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

prior to DeBeers and Tiffanys pushing diamonds as engagement rings, many other stones were used. sapphires, rubies, emeralds. I have seen many old pink stones such as Morganite and Kunzite because they were rare at the time. A high quality tourmaline such as the Pala Pink tourmaline or a color change Alexandrite are always beautiful. I personally would choose something rare and with personal meaning. Maybe you can go to Arkansas and dig your own Diamond at the crater of diamonds state park or head out to Henderson, Nevada and dig up a rare black tourmaline. Me I like Tektites such as Moldavite. Find out what her favorite color is and get a gemstone in that color.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

once nice thing about diamonds is that they wear very well, due to hardness. i'd be scared of other stones breaking, if worn everyday. the mohs scale is not linear, diamond is much, much, much harder than any other natural stone.

the engagement ring isnt at all about what YOU like. do you think she will be cool with another precious stone, other than a diamond?

I don't know gemstones.....but I do know women.....get a Diamond!!

It is true that the ring is for her, not you, but I too am a fan of colored gemstones. I think sapphire is a great alternative, since they are hard, come in every color and are plentiful. Having said that, you should know that almost every sapphire commercially available has been heat treated, an accepted practice. Some, however have been treated in ways to alter their color- diffusion, or to change clarity-flux heating. Thus it is important to have a reputable source. Look at Lisa elser,s site online. She custom facets stones, many that she purchased at the mines. Good luck. (I also like orange and green garnets, which are rare beautiful and hard)

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    the engagement ring isnt at all about what YOU like. do you think she will be cool with another precious stone, other than a diamond?
    Yup, she just wants a shiny stone and a more simple ring

Remember diamonds do come in other colors. I personally think emeralds and sapphires are really gorgeous.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Nice, would be a nice trend to see. And congrats!
    one man gathers what another man spills...