Quantcast
Shiny rock that isn't a diamond - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shiny rock that isn't a diamond

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    If you guys are into antique edwardian era/ roughly late 1800s/early 1900s stuff I had an awesome lady out of Florida from pinterest craft our ring for us from a mold of an old ring she had. It was 18k and even though i used it to propose to my wife with, she loved it so much she asked i dont buy her another ring but instead just put it on her hand when we got married. I went with moissanite because for one it is indestinguashable from a diamond to the nakey eye and two i you wanna put a fatty diamond in there later on in life when you are ballin out of control feel free to do so. I believe the ring ran me $1250 or so after all was said an done. What helped me was taking her to jewelry stores and asking her what she liked, cruising pinterest and ebay and asking her what she liked etc and makin mental notes. Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384799090.279917.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  8.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384799112.649382.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  6.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384799129.555698.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  6.8 KB
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Fossilized mammoth tooth engagement ring from Randy Haas's wife Lisa, and follow it up with mokume wedding bands from Del. Win-win More seriously though, if not a diamond solitaire I would look into a ruby flanked with a pair of small diamonds. Probably will not save you that much $ though.

I like the idea of Alexandrite.
    It is really cool when you see one that has a strong color change.
    1st it looks red, then it is green.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

whatever stone she wants is the correct answer...you are just an honored guest at the wedding.

Well by "shiny" I'm assuming you mean "sparkly", Referring to a gym stones brilliance? Brilliance and gemstones is measured in the "refractive index", I.E. The more light a stone refracts the shinier it is or more sparkle it has.
    That sad diamonds are pretty dam sparkly (2.4 index), Rutile has the highest RF# 2.99, it's a pretty stone varies in color from golden to blood red, reddish brown and black. The only other two stones "shinier" then a diamond are
    Sphalerite, but Sphalerite is super-soft stone and Sphene, Sphene is yellowish-green, green in color but it's still kind of soft as far as gems go and not used for rings that often. Just under diamond is a zircon, not a cubic zirconia, zircon is a precious gemstone that looks and sparkles like a diamond.

Rutile can be hard to find in sizes suitable for a ring but the ones I have seen are absolutely amazing looking

Just a after thought, If she truly loves you she would want you to spend money on a nice knife for yourself

Something to keep in mind is how the ring will be worn--is it going to be worn only when going out and for special occasions, or will it be worn all the time? For an all the time ring, it's hard to beat diamond for durability. It just takes more abuse than other gemstones and keeps looking good. Colored diamonds are an option if you just don't want a white stone--and they don't have to be more expensive. Get a little brown tone in the color and the price drops dramatically. (Check out Diamonds by Lauren if you want to see some great photos of colored diamonds.) Sapphires and rubies are also fairly hard, but will damage more easily than diamonds. If I didn't want a diamond, I'd definitely go with sapphire or ruby. Beautiful colors, and tough stones. Emeralds are pretty susceptible to damage--plus getting a nice looking stone gets real pricey in a hurry. Opals are fragile--not that good for an "everyday" ring.

Softer stones are susceptible to scratching, and over time and with a lot of wear the surface of the stone can get covered with tiny scratches and loose a lot of sparkle. If you do get one of the softer stones, using a bezel setting can help protect it from damage.

My 30+ year old diamond engagement ring doesn't look any worse for all the abuse it's received over the years, where some other rings with soft stones that don't get worn very often have scratches and chips.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Just a clarification. Hard does not mean durable. In fact diamonds have perfect cleavage and if struck properly will crack in half. Hardness is just the ability to resist scratching. Sapphire, garnet, beryls, zircon, spinels, tourmalines will all be very durable and make excellent ring stones . opal is soft and will scratch over time. Bezel setting is an excellent way to protect any stone, and offers a nice aesthetic alternative to prong settings. I facet gemstones and have a large selection/ experience with colored stones. Look up Tim lambertini's website. He is a talented goldsmith in Washington state. The pink spinel rings are stones I cut. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Yup, she just wants a shiny stone and a more simple ring

Yup, get a diamond!
    You have no idea how many times i've walked into that trap...